« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I know this has limited appeal to most visiting NSN but this is seriously fast glass for medium format, the Irix 45mm f/1.4 is the rough equivalent of 35mm f/1.1 in full frame terms - by far the fastest lens available natively to any medium format system.  For those not familiar with Irix, they make a line of specialty lenses for the major DSLR mounts that are very good.

https://www.fujirumors.com/irix-45mm-f- ... announced/

by Bill Chambers on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:44 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I know this has limited appeal to most visiting NSN but this is seriously fast glass for medium format, the Irix 45mm f/1.4 is the rough equivalent of 35mm f/1.1 in full frame terms - by far the fastest lens available natively to any medium format system.  For those not familiar with Irix, they make a line of specialty lenses for the major DSLR mounts that are very good.

Hmmm, strange, but clicking on the links in the article takes you to B&H, Adorama, and Amazon, but only Adorama actually has the lens for the GFX.  I'm planning to pull the trigger next week on purchasing the GFX 50S and the 45-100 lens, the macro tubes, and one other lens (yet to be decided).  I eventually want to end up with the 23mm, the 100-200, the 250 w 1.4 tele to go with the 45-100, but will have to add them little by little as I can afford them.  A friend has one and loves it, and the end product (as compared to the D810 he was using) is quite amazing.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I know this has limited appeal to most visiting NSN but this is seriously fast glass for medium format, the Irix 45mm f/1.4 is the rough equivalent of 35mm f/1.1 in full frame terms - by far the fastest lens available natively to any medium format system.  For those not familiar with Irix, they make a line of specialty lenses for the major DSLR mounts that are very good.

Hmmm, strange, but clicking on the links in the article takes you to B&H, Adorama, and Amazon, but only Adorama actually has the lens for the GFX.  I'm planning to pull the trigger next week on purchasing the GFX 50S and the 45-100 lens, the macro tubes, and one other lens (yet to be decided).  I eventually want to end up with the 23mm, the 100-200, the 250 w 1.4 tele to go with the 45-100, but will have to add them little by little as I can afford them.  A friend has one and loves it, and the end product (as compared to the D810 he was using) is quite amazing.
I own the Laowa 17mm, and the Fuji 23mm, 32-64mm, 100-200mm, 120 macro, 250mm, and the 1.4x.  they are all excellent, even the Laowa as long as you stop it down a couple of stops.  I sure hope they come through with a wide zoom, something like a 20-40 or 20-35.

Nobody actually has the lens currently as it was just announced and is not yet shipping.  Adorama is just the only one taking pre-orders at the moment.

by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:49 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Nobody actually has the lens currently as it was just announced and is not yet shipping.  Adorama is just the only one taking pre-orders at the moment.
Hi E.J.,

I just ordered it a few minutes ago.  I decided to purchase the 45-100 and the 100-200, along with the EVF Tilt Adapter, remote release, memory cards, and 3 extra batteries.  I went to RRS to purchase the camera plate & L bracket, and the lens plate for the 100-200.  I wanted to get some Breakthrough filters but wanted to talk to someone there first and still waiting for a call back from them before I order.  Now I'm officially BROKE for a while, at least for camera gear.  

I want to pick up the 23mm next, maybe in a few months, but will check out the Laowa 17mm since you mentioned that.  Which would you recommend?

After the 23mm, I want to get the 250 w/ the 1.4 teleconverter, hopefully by the end of the year.

Concerning the 120mm.  I don't do a lot of macro.  What do you think of buying the two extension tubes versus purchasing the 120mm?
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bill Chambers wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Hi E.J.,

I just ordered it a few minutes ago.  I decided to purchase the 45-100 and the 100-200, along with the EVF Tilt Adapter, remote release, memory cards, and 3 extra batteries.  I went to RRS to purchase the camera plate & L bracket, and the lens plate for the 100-200.  I wanted to get some Breakthrough filters but wanted to talk to someone there first and still waiting for a call back from them before I order.  Now I'm officially BROKE for a while, at least for camera gear.  

I want to pick up the 23mm next, maybe in a few months, but will check out the Laowa 17mm since you mentioned that.  Which would you recommend?

After the 23mm, I want to get the 250 w/ the 1.4 teleconverter, hopefully by the end of the year.

Concerning the 120mm.  I don't do a lot of macro.  What do you think of buying the two extension tubes versus purchasing the 120mm?
The Laowa is full manual, no EXIF so unless you need the full frame equivalent of 13.5mm get the 23mm Fujinon which is around 18mm equivalent.

The 250 is a beast -a very large lens and the TC works well with the 100-200.  I have essentially not used the 250 since getting the 100-200 because it's just a big and heavy lens to travel or hike with.  it's an expensive and big lens so make sure you really need it before plunking down that serious coin but the IQ is off the charts.

Extension tubes are an option.  If I were buying today, I would not get the 120.  I bought it when the 100-200 didn't exist so the jump from 64mm to 250 was just too big for me and the 120 fit in the middle - I never actually used it as a macro but it's nice to have that capability.  Note that it isn't a true macro, it's actually a 1:2 lens.  It is an insanely sharp lens though.

by Bill Chambers on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:23 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J.
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

6 posts |