« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by dolina on Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:47 pm
dolina
Forum Contributor
https://www.dpreview.com/news/559757734 ... 9-downturn

And I personally expect November-December 2020 to not ship more than 2 million digital still cameras (DSC).

A grand total of less than 9 million DSC shipped globally for 2020.

This would be the worst year since the all time high of 121 million back in 2010

Will it settle back again at about 1999's 5.06 million?

In 2019 the global shipment of DSC was 15.2 million vs 1.52 billion of smartphones.

That's a ratio of 1 DSC to 100 smartphones.

Camera makers are now focusing on camera features iPhones and Androids will have difficulty replicating due to their limited size. Though these "advantages" may not last long due to computational photography. The features are
  • Larger image sensors that allow for higher ISO and dynamic range
  • Super zooms that allow 35mm equivalent optical zooms of 20mm to 3,000mm
  • Better water resistance or ruggedness
  • Built-in photo paper printing
Even with the limited dimensions of a conventional smartphone R&D money from over billions of smartphones sold annually allowed for creation of
  • Larger image sensor: iPhone is now 47% larger than before & Android made improvements as well
  • Super zooms: Have been addressed by having more than 1 rear cameras with ultrawide, wide & telephoto zoom ranges
  • Better water resistance: iPhones 12 now can do IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes) & Android can do something similar as well
  • Built-in photo paper printing... smartphone makers are smart enough not to sell to hipsters. :LOL:
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:39 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
It seems to me that the camera market was always two demographics. A consumer who was mostly interested in documenting trips, some daily activities and family events, and the pro/serious enthusiast. There were no options for the first group until smartphones came along except traditional cameras, whether a point and shoot or a full-fledged ILC, and that's why they purchased them.
Now that they have a choice, they are picking the best camera for them. The smartphone wins hands down because the things are with us at all times, it's always ready to use, and people are on the thing constantly. To use a traditional camera, you have to be committed to dragging around a camera bag in case you "might" use it. But IMO, the type of photography a consumer pursues doesn't need an ILC. The smartphone is "good enough" for family and social media purposes.
Plus, think of the hurdles to use social media or send an image to a friend or family member using an ILC. It is possible to use the camera and send it directly to your phone via an app, but the impatient consumer may not want to fiddle with it. Additionally, if that's the destination, why not use it to start with?

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:59 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

If camera manufacturers don't start making their $1,000-$5,000 cameras as easy to use as a $200 phone, this trend will continue.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Professional on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:36 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
It needs to come to an end or have a long break, in the past i was keep watching all or many photography sites and makers to see what is new and i try every year or 2 years to buy a new camera, but i lost my job and my parents and that put me in a long long coma from buying anything for photography for a while, so i was like "Oh no, it has been 8 years i didn't buy anything and people are now so much far away with latest gear", and my all old cameras are just lying around dying or dead, so i wanted the time when things should be slowing down, so if i buy a camera i don't have to worry that after 2 years there are 10 models from same brand much better that it, the lens can hold longer, but even with that they are trying to wipe out most old models, and some people keep saying "It doesn't matter what they bring latest, it is not about equipment", i don't believe.

I hope that my situations getting better mainly with a job issue so i can buy something or keep buying, otherwise it will be like i only buy once every 10 years, and the more i wait and the more older i get then i will stop buying at late age, and i can die anytime, and i know people will keep buying, but i feel sorry for those old genuine buyers, if they have gear since 10-30 years and they are unable to keep going or "Buying".
Tareq Alhamrani

4 posts |