« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Mark L on Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:40 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Please provide some guidance on a budget; you could buy a camera and a single zoom lens to get started for $1000 or $8-10,000.  

Personally, I use Sony mirrorless cameras and love them so I would suggest a Sony but which one depends on your budget and what you want to photograph.  I read "nature" as landscape (not wildlife); if you want to take pictures of animals (birds or other) the suggestions will be different for both lenses and cameras.

by ricardo00 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:47 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Eline wrote:Hi all, I don’t know what to buy have never had anything better than my iPhone. I don’t have a budget really. I’m not sure if people assist in this subreddit with lenses as well or if I can find info elsewhere about them just curious on what is generally recommended
   If you have never used anything but an iPhone, jumping to a high powered Sony mirrorless camera is quite a leap.  If it wasn't for COVID, I would say to join a camera club or take an evening course in photography (there were a number of such classes in Santa Clara before COVID).  However now things have moved online. So for example San Jose Camera store has such classes online (but you can take a course from anywhere online so not limited to Santa Clara).  But before a big purchase you might try finding someone you know who can "mentor" you, possibly loaning you some equipment and seeing how much you like photography.  Again there are many different types of photography so as Mark asked, what kind of photography do you want to do?  This will dictate what type of lenses you want and to some extent which camera is best.

by Jeff Pearl on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:48 pm
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
Lots of options. You could get a Tamron 28-75 lens for $800.00 and put it on a Sony A6600 for $1400.00 for total of $2200.00 +, or you could get an all in one like the Sony RX10Mark4 with 24-600 zoom for $1700.00. Or Fuji XT-4 with 18-55 lens for $2100.00. You could also look at fixed lens cameras like Fuji X100V with 23mm lens for $1400.00. Nikon Z5 is also looking like a good choice. The combinations are endless, so if you set a budget, that will help narrow down your choices.

Last edited by Jeff Pearl on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by photoman4343 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:24 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
You can start here.:

https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

If you do not need large files for prints, I would check out the various cameras around $600-900 with a small sensor and a fixed zoom lens that extends to at least 600mm or 1200m or longer. Since I am familiar with the Nikon line, something like the Nikon Coolpix P950.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon ... kon_cpp950
Joe Smith

by Karl Egressy on Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:25 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Sony RX10Mark4 could be a good starter.
My friend has one and he has been very pleased with it. It is good for everything.
I used Canon, Nikon (still do) most recently Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus.
They are all good choices.
When I decided to get into landscape for example (I'm mainly Bird shooter) I started watching what lenses and cameras were used by people who were posting on Landscape Gallery on this site and after a few month I made my decision regarding a lens to be bought.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:49 am
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I don't believe in spending a lot of money on camera bodies. I started off with a Canon EOS Rebel XSi and two kit lenses. I used that for years. A few years ago I upgraded to a Canon EOS Rebel T5i, and still used the kit lenses. 95% of the photographs I have in a gallery where shot with those lenses. A couple of years ago I finally upgraded to Canon L lenses. The only real difference I see between the kit and L lenses is that the L lenses don't have chromatic aberration. And their build quality is better.

Start off with inexpensive gear and shoot for a while until you learn what kind of gear you need to get the photos you want.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

6 posts |