Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Martin 095 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:44 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
Hi everyone,

I hope all of you are well and healthy.

I am looking for a wide angle lens for my D7200.  Initially I had hoped to buy one that was image stabilized but the selection is pretty small, and not very impressive.  I currently own a Sigma 17-70, but would like something wider than this.  Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM FLD AF Ultra Wide Zoom Lens?  It looks to be reasonably priced with (very?) good IQ based on the reviews I read on dpreview, but would really appreciate any comments you might want to share.  TIA.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I don't think I would go after this lens. It is from the pre-high-quality Sigma era, not the Global Vision lens era that Sigma ushered in about 6 years ago where they took a dramatic step up in optics. I would not expect this lens to do very well with modern high pixel density sensors. It may have been good in the 12 megapixel era and earlier but it was not designed for today's sensors. I'm guessing the reviews are pretty old on this lens.

There are other options, one is stabilized:
Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD L

There is also the Tokina ATX 11-16mm f/2.8.

by Martin 095 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:36 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
Thanks EJ – right after I posted this, I realized this was an older lens, so your concerns are well-founded.  I appreciate the help.  And thanks for the other recommendations, which you had mentioned to me before.  At the time I contacted you, I was focused on stabilized ultra wides, but now, I was hoping that, by looking for non-stabilized zooms, the options would increase.  Maybe I should focus on a prime ultra wide angle lens instead.

Hope all is well with my friends on this site – stay safe and healthy!
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I almost suggested that you might look at one or two wide primes :) The IQ would probably be better than these two lenses which aren't what I would call top-notch.

4 posts |