« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by jwild on Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:21 am
jwild
Forum Contributor
Having ordered my Canon R 5, I was just trying to brush up my knowledge. I'm keen to know what kind of shutter is suitable for what kind of picture situation. 

What I've been able to learn so far is that:

- Mechanical shutter is better in IQ and gives about 14 bit image @ 12 fps.
- Mechanical shutter has more sound and impact.
- Mechanical shutter is not suitable for fast action.
- Electronic shutter is slightly worse in IQ and gives about 12 bit image @ 20 fps.
- Electronic shutter has almost no sound and impact. 
- Electronic shutter is more suitable for fast action.
-Electronic shutter may induce rolling shutter.
- 1st Curtain electronic shutter gives flash sync of 1/250 sec. instead of 1/200 sec.

Please help me update my knowledge on the issue, any update is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

by Joel Eade on Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:48 am
Joel Eade
Forum Contributor
I have had the R5 for about 2 months shooting mostly in my back yard bird set up.

I have tried all 3 shutter modes and if there is a difference in image quality I would say it is negligible....but I have not tried photographing fast action.

The mechanical shutter will shoot up to 12 fps with a fully charged battery .... it should be decent for action I think.  It has a very soft sound compared to my 5DMKIV or 1DX. It's plenty fast for bird photos at a set up and the sound does not spook them from 20-30 feet away.

The electronic shutter at 20 fps produces NO sound at all.....actually I sometimes think this isn't good because you can take so many images so quickly that many are redundant but for fast action I imagine it would be great.

I have not experienced action shooting yet so no comment with regard to the presence or absence of rolling shutter.

by Brian K. on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:52 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
I don't understand how the shutter mode can effect the image quality of the sensor? 
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by Mike Veltri on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:59 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
jwild wrote:Having ordered my Canon R 5, I was just trying to brush up my knowledge. I'm keen to know what kind of shutter is suitable for what kind of picture situation. 

- Electronic shutter is slightly worse in IQ and gives about 12 bit image @ 20 fps.
- 1st Curtain electronic shutter gives flash sync of 1/250 sec. instead of 1/200 sec.

Please help me update my knowledge on the issue, any update is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
I use the Mechanical shutter for birds in flight and everything else. :)

The electronic shutter shoots faster at 20fps, and is silent. Good for churches or places were you don't want the camera making any noise.

Not sure where you attained your information from.

There is no difference in image quality by switching shutter modes.

by hullyjr on Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:39 am
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
I use mechanical shutter, 12 fps is plenty for me and it is very quiet compared to mirror-slappers. I do see rolling shutter with electronic shutter so I would say it is not ideal for action/fast moving birds. The only comment I've seen about 1st curtain electronic shutter is that it affects the bokeh but have no idea if this is true or significant.
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by Neilyb on Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:14 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I added an image on my oneDrive:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgXvrasKFmsVx0YUhve ... B?e=IwZfnP

I was shooting silent with the EOS R last winter. Very useful for shy birds, useless for action in most instances. The readout speed is however very slow at about 1/12 sec. Meaning whatever shutter speed I set it requires 1/12 sec to read all lines of the sensor (each line is exposed at the shutter speed set but the sensor is read line by line (E.J explained some further stuff better)) which is why we see the wings of my buzzard smeared as they came downwards.

The R5 seems to be around 1/60sec readout, meaning anything action based will show rolling shutter of some kind.

I can report that with my R6 the mechanical shutter is amazingly quiet, I absolutely love it.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:38 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:.........The R5 seems to be around 1/60sec readout, meaning anything action based will show rolling shutter of some kind. ..........
Sometimes that can be used for an artistic effect:
Samsung s8 phone camera.
Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ajq on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:46 pm
ajq
Forum Contributor
I have been shooting birds with a Sony A9II for about 14 months and a Canon R5 for about two months.  I can see no discernable difference in image quality between the mechanical or electronic shutter.  I have shot birds in the wild, at a feeder photography setup and birds in flight during Fall migration at Cape May, NJ, U. S. A.

That being said, the only rolling shutter artifacts I have encountered is during shooting a hummingbird in flight at a feeder with my Canon R5.  I switched to the mechanical shutter after noticing the artifacts while reviewing shots in-camera.  I also shoot vintage warbirds and I suspect that one could create rolling shutter artifacts if shooting with the electronic shutter and using a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the motion of airplane propellers, although that's not how I shoot prop-driven planes.

Regards,
TonyQ
[url]http://www.TonyQandSuzanne.com[/url]
[url]http://www.TonyQandSuzanne.com/Bird%20Index.html[/url] - Bird Images

by Neil Fitzgerald on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:58 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Mike Veltri wrote:
jwild wrote:Having ordered my Canon R 5, I was just trying to brush up my knowledge. I'm keen to know what kind of shutter is suitable for what kind of picture situation. 

Thanks!
I use the Mechanical shutter for birds in flight and everything else. :)

The electronic shutter shoots faster at 20fps, and is silent. Good for churches or places were you don't want the camera making any noise.

Not sure where you attained your information from.

There is no difference in image quality by switching shutter modes.

EJ alluded to it viewtopic.php?f=57&t=289494
I saw an earlier comment on which EJ may have based that, but I can't recall it now.

by Neil Fitzgerald on Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:27 am
Neil Fitzgerald
Regional Moderator
Member #:00240
Ok, I think it came from dpreview
https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r5-review/5
Using the silent electronic shutter drops the camera's readout to 12-bit, and so you may notice more shadow noise in those images if you're performing extreme adjustments.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yup, the dropping down to 12 bit color when shooting in silent mode is the biggest "flaw" in an otherwise great still photography camera. Not sure if the processing power is there to address this in firmware or I would think they would not have made this choice.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:10 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
does anyone know if electronic first curtain is 12 or 14 bit?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wildflower-nut wrote:does anyone know if electronic first curtain is 12 or 14 bit?
14 bit

13 posts |