« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by 06Honda on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:18 pm
06Honda
Forum Contributor
The lense collar that came with this lense seems a bit on the filimsy side to bet used when shooting via a tripod. Do owners of this lense generally purchase a different collar or use the kit collar it came with.

by Bill Chambers on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:29 am
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
You're correct, the Nikon lens collar is not high quality. I use an older version of the Kirk Lens Collar. I would rather use the Really Right Stuff lens collar but I don't think RRS makes it anymore. The Kirk collar is better than the original, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. When changing from horizontal to vertical and vice versa, it's not smooth transition at all; jerky and rough transition.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use the Kirk as it offers much greater stability than the other options. A very light finger coating of silicone lubricant on the forward support eliminates the balkiness that Bill mentioned.

by Kerry on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:12 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I also use the Kirk collar for the 80-400. Will have to try the silicone trick as I too have had occasional issues with stiffness. It's not as bad as the original Kirk 80-400 collar. I had some major, major problems with that unit after a few years, to the point where I had to return it to Kirk for refitting. (To their credit, they fixed it quickly and without charge.) I haven't had anything like that kind of trouble with the current collar.

4 posts |