Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:10 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Although it’s not going to be offered to the general public, it sounds like a great IR camera if ever made available to landscape and others interested in IR photography.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9281887406/fujifilm-introduces-fujifilm-gfx100-ir-for-100mp-infra-red-imaging

I find it highly unusual to limit the end user and require an agreement on how it’s used.

From Fujifilm:

https://fujifilm-x.com/de-ch/global-news/2020/1125_3827303/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's actually not what we would traditionally refer to as an IR camera.  In other words it is not a camera that has a visible light cut-off filter.  Traditionally, IR cameras are classified by the visible light cut-off wavelength.  For example, deep IR is generally 1000nm or 820nm, near IR is 720nm, 665nm lets a bit of the red and orange through, etc....   This camera is what is more commonly referred as a full spectrum camera in that it allows the visible spectrum as well as the IR spectrum through.  If you want pure IR images, you would need to add the appropriate filter to the lens.  For example a 720nm filter would cut-off pretty much the entire visible light spectrum while recording nearly the entire IR spectrum.  On the other hand an IR cut filter would allow you to use it as a normal visible light camera.

It's only available for specific uses with a user agreement as you mentioned and it does include pixel shift so that you can take still life 400 megapixel images.

There is also a FW update available today for the regular visible light GFX-100 that brings pixel shift to the normal camera also allowing 400mp still life images.

Additionally there is a minor FW update for the GFX-50S and GFX-50R.  I just updated my 50S with no issues.

2 posts |