All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:00 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Nikon launched the second generation of it's full frame mirrorless cameras.  They are a relatively minor update of the original.  Hardware wise the biggest differentce is dual card slots.  They have the same 24 and 46 megapixel sensors respectively and surprisingly they keep the 3 million dot EVF rather than going to the 5mp or 9 million dot EVF that the competition is introducing in their latest cameras:

Here's DPReview's take on both cameras:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon- ... ial-review
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon- ... ial-review

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:45 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
From Nikon:

Z 6ll

Z 7ll

MB-11 Vertical Grip

UpcomingVideo

Lenses

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:02 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Larger buffer, dual  processors, low light focusing, focus shift, multiple exposure, 900 second exposures, and much more. It seems to be more than minor, overall.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:Larger buffer, dual  processors, low light focusing, focus shift, multiple exposure, 900 second exposures, and much more. It seems to be more than minor, overall.

Joe
To me it’s like one of the old S models - a half step.  It still lags what the Canon R5 offers although if the performance is there it could still be highly compelling - kind of like the D810 to the D800; On paper a small evolutionary step, in use a far superior camera.  Time will tell.

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:54 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
They are what I'd call a "problematic" upgrade...some new features and improvements make it a "better" camera. However, not enough to make a clear decision about upgrading for many people, including me. It reminds me of the A9 to A9II update; yes, it's an improvement, but for most, not enough to justify buying. I was hoping for a clear indication that the AF had been improved, and I don't see much to go on. Hopefully, some reviewers will publish hands-on reports soon.

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:57 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Larger buffer, dual  processors, low light focusing, focus shift, multiple exposure, 900 second exposures, and much more. It seems to be more than minor, overall.

Joe

The focus shift is in the Z7 too. Personally, I don't count firmware tweaks like adding a 900-second exposure to be an upgrade since it could have been added via a firmware update to the original. Welcome, yes, but hardly a sign that Nikon was doing a serious upgrade.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:19 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

Joe

The focus shift is in the Z7 too. Personally, I don't count firmware tweaks like adding a 900-second exposure to be an upgrade since it could have been added via a firmware update to the original. Welcome, yes, but hardly a sign that Nikon was doing a serious upgrade.
Yes, as I referred to here:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=282816

There is a lot more info in the links I posted above about the new features.

Joe

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:25 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
I agree with EJ, this does seem like an "S" update. It's like they decided to add the things that should have been there to start with in the first version, and not much else.

by Gary Irwin on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:58 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Very much an incremental upgrade. I don't see anyone buying into Nikon's Z system for body performance, but they might for the ergos, IQ/colour and native lens performance.
Gary Likes Nature.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A breakdown of the changes:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/90592 ... ed-to-know

Joe

10 posts |