All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Biff on Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:52 am
Biff
Forum Contributor
Hi FE 400 mm F2.8 GM-users,

[font=Helvetica]a few days ago, I became a proud owner of a Sony FE 400 mm F2.8 GM lens. The lens works fine… but I’m irritated by the sound you can hear after switching on the camera. It’s a humming sound that never stops, no matter AF is on or off, no matter the optical steady shot is activated or not. About 3 seconds after swithing the camera off, the sound ends with two clicks. The sound reminds me of a spinning top that could be built-in for the detection of movements.This happens with 2 different bodies. Do you have the same observation on such a prime lens? I checked the FE200-600: there you can also hear that sound, but much quieter.[/font]
[font=Helvetica]I suppose you might hear that sound on videos and I'm afraid the battery will run out faster. Is it normal or can be deactivated?[/font]

Best regards,
Biff

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The OS element is a floating element and it needs to be floated into the proper position even with OS off, otherwise you would have a decentered image.

by Lensmaster on Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:10 pm
Lensmaster
Forum Contributor
I checked my FE 600f4 it clicks and then with my ear to the lens it does hum then clicks when I turn it off so quite normal .

Rob.

by TomNeth on Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:16 am
TomNeth
Forum Contributor
Biff wrote:Hi FE 400 mm F2.8 GM-users,

[font=Helvetica]a few days ago, I became a proud owner of a Sony FE 400 mm F2.8 GM lens. The lens works fine… but I’m irritated by the sound you can hear after switching on the camera. It’s a humming sound that never stops, no matter AF is on or off, no matter the optical steady shot is activated or not. About 3 seconds after swithing the camera off, the sound ends with two clicks. The sound reminds me of a spinning top that could be built-in for the detection of movements.This happens with 2 different bodies. Do you have the same observation on such a prime lens? I checked the FE200-600: there you can also hear that sound, but much quieter.[/font]
[font=Helvetica]I suppose you might hear that sound on videos and I'm afraid the battery will run out faster. Is it normal or can be deactivated?[/font]

Best regards,
Biff
Hi Biff,

Bought the lens last week and have the same experience with the sound the lens makes. In video mode it is less noisy. I send an email to the Sony Support Center but have not received an answer.
I wonder if you still her this sound, did you check with Sony ?
I am new to Sony and mirrorless do I am very interested about the situation you have with the lens.

Best regards,

Tom - the Netherlands

4 posts |