All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:23 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Informative article on using a slider when doing macro focus stacks:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0652566916/how-to-shoot-better-macro-photos-using-a-slider-and-focus-stacking

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:29 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
A good intro article, but that's it.

by mlgray12 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:53 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
I probably missed something in article because I just skimmed it, but with new cameras capable of automatically doing micro-adjustments to focus for as many images as you want - what is advantage of a slider at all
This is really something that I have not done but have some interest - most of my stacking has been done to get multiple birds in focus in really prefect situations - but this is a completely different technique
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:30 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
mlgray12 wrote:I probably missed something in article because I just skimmed it, but with new cameras capable of  automatically doing micro-adjustments to focus for as many images as you want - what is advantage of a slider at all
This is really something that I have not done but have some interest - most of my stacking has been done to get multiple birds in focus in really prefect situations - but this is a completely different technique

I think the main advantage is for true macro, ie. 1:1 or more where you need the steps to be consistent and focussing manually is pretty tough. You also avoid focus breathing where the subject changes magnification when you change focus. Of course, if you shoot Sony, you're still waiting for the focus stacking feature!

4 posts |