All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I always bring a tripod, even if it's just a travel tripod. Even on long hikes.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:48 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I always bring my tripod, and use it 99.9% of the time when taking a photograph.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Bill Chambers on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:57 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
95% of what I shoot is landscapes and 99% of my landscapes are shot on a tripod. I use a Gitzo 5 series, which is way too heavy but it is very stable. If you ever choose to enlarge your images to any decent size at all, a tripod is a necessity. I've enlarged full frame 36 MP images to 4'x6' and still had them be tack sharp.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by imagenes_vivas on Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:35 am
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
I almost ever bring my tripod when walking in the mountains, a Benro Mach3 TMA28C carbon fiber. But if the hike is hard or I have to carry a tent and sleeping bag, then I carry a smaller (and older) Gitzo G1057. At dusk and dawn they are a must.

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:06 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
It depends on distance and purpose.  With a club outing for snap shots, hand held.  Serious photography, tripod.  Longer distances FEISOL CT-3342 Tournament with markins q10 head.  It was the lightest tall tripod (2.5lb) I could find with no center post and only 3 leg sections.   Added to this is a 1lb head.  Shorter distances Gitzo GT3543XLS Systematic.  It has 4 sections and is part of their series 3 tripods.  about 80" tall and no center post I've found it strong and heavy enough even for a 800 f5.6 although my biggest now is a 600f4.  Extra height is big plus.  Only normally use 3 sections but when on a slope or other situation needing extra height out comes the 4th section.  Weight without head 5lb.  Both tripods have had feet replaced by spike accessory kit.

by whiskybottle on Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:22 am
whiskybottle
Forum Contributor
I always carry an use a tripod. Gitzo 1 series for hill walks when using walking poles, 3 series when not using walking poles. Mostly macro & landscapes. The tripod slows you down for a more considered photo. A word on spiked feet, I had 3 inch spikes on my 3-series, one of them pulled the plug out of the leg needing a new lower leg. Now just use short spikes.

6 posts |