« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by photoman4343 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:53 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
My Nikon 500mm pf lens has a problem--I cannot get the knob on the rotating collar to fully engage and stop the lens from rotating when it is mounted on a tripod. I have turned the knob as tightly as I can, but it will not fully engage and stop the lens from rotating. 

Is there anything I can do on my own to fix this?

Anything that a local camera repair shop might be able to do? (In Houston we still have a good one.)

Or do I need to send it to Nikon?

I got my 500mm pf lens when they first came out.  Not sure if this a warranty issue or not.

Thanks for any ideas of things I can do and not do. 

Joe
Joe Smith

by ricardo00 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:39 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:My Nikon 500mm pf lens has a problem--I cannot get the knob on the rotating collar to fully engage and stop the lens from rotating when it is mounted on a tripod. I have turned the knob as tightly as I can, but it will not fully engage and stop the lens from rotating. 

Is there anything I can do on my own to fix this?

Anything that a local camera repair shop might be able to do? (In Houston we still have a good one.)

Or do I need to send it to Nikon?

I got my 500mm pf lens when they first came out.  Not sure if this a warranty issue or not.

Thanks for any ideas of things I can do and not do. 

Joe
  Hi Joe,
    This is a problem a number of people (including myself) who got the first batch of 500mm PF lenses have and still have.  Some people (Bruce, Owlseye) sent it back and had it repaired by Nikon under warranty (it took about a month if I remember correctly, maybe Bruce will also respond).  Others have used tape to secure it (both inside under the collar and outside).  So far mine hasn't loosened up further and I can still use it on a tripod for video without noticing a "wobble" that is problematic.  I too will be interested to hear what others with the problem have done.
Ricardo

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:14 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
In this lengthy thread, mostly about the tripod foot, mention is made by Lance B about ordering a new knob for the collar to fix the problem.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4415235

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by photoman4343 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Joe, thanks for the thread. I read it. As I think back on my problem, I bet the knob was a problem when I first got the lens.While it worked, it took more effort to make it lock than with my other Nikon tele lenses with rotating collars. I am going to call my photo retailer to see if they have any additional ideas for me.
Joe Smith

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:33 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I don’t know how the knob is attached (i.e., whether it can be removed or not easily). If you can easily unscrew it, you may be able to drop a small nylon bead in and then tighten the knob. I have done this with nylon beads and have also been successful with a small lead bb from a shotgun shell. The lead does work, but it deforms into the threads and tight spaces so, if it is not accessible, it would be hard to remove. Sometimes, the knobs on tripod heads have a nylon bead built in to the end of the screw. It wears out and that is the type of place where I have used nylon or lead beads.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

5 posts |