« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Roger is at it again:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/09/taking-apart-the-canon-r5-mirrorless-camera/

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3351122897/lensrentals-tears-down-the-canon-eos-r5-and-finds-interesting-sealing-and-thermal-flow

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/09/investigating-the-canon-r5-heat-emission/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:03 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I saw the link on the CR site. Are there other camera brands (Sony, Nikon, etc.) with similar specs that have this heat issue? I am going to assume when the camera was being designed, they surely must have been aware of the overheating thing? I can hear the collective groan but the R5 will still sell like hotcakes off the shelf. I warned you :-)

by Neilyb on Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:58 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Well, cinema cameras which shoot 8K video genaerally have a large body and ventilation to keep the sensor and CPU from exploding (same as a PC) but in a mirrorless stills camera body that needs to be weather sealed (or the internet would explode with tales of woe) this is not possible. I think I am right in saying that the R5 is the only "stills" camera body with 8K video, but being as it is 4x the resolution of 4K it requires serious computation and bandwidth. So IMO, we have a camera that can do all the things it should PLUS it can do 8K or 4K120fps for 20minutes at a time. I see that as a bonus rather than a reason to moan at Canon.

I mean, when it was announced the internet was "8K? Nobody needs 8K, dang they hardly need 4K!" but when those same people found out that 8K was only available for 20 minutes "This camera is worthless junk if it cannot record 8K for 12 hours!" ... I think I am also right in saying the Sony A7s3 4K 60/120fps also overheats at some point, especially in sunlight (due to the camera body materials).

That Canon limited the time you can shoot video to save the internals from melting is not a bad thing, and trying to get around it will likely cause serious damage to the camera.

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:29 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Neilyb wrote:Well, cinema cameras which shoot 8K video genaerally have a large body and ventilation to keep the sensor and CPU from exploding (same as a PC) but in a mirrorless stills camera body that needs to be weather sealed (or the internet would explode with tales of woe) this is not possible. I think I am right in saying that the R5 is the only "stills" camera body with 8K video, but being as it is 4x the resolution of 4K it requires serious computation and bandwidth. So IMO, we have a camera that can do all the things it should PLUS it can do 8K or 4K120fps for 20minutes at a time. I see that as a bonus rather than a reason to moan at Canon.

I mean, when it was announced the internet was "8K? Nobody needs 8K, dang they hardly need 4K!" but when those same people found out that 8K was only available for 20 minutes "This camera is worthless junk if it cannot record 8K for 12 hours!" ... I think I am also right in saying the Sony A7s3 4K 60/120fps also overheats at some point, especially in sunlight (due to the camera body materials).

That Canon limited the time you can shoot video to save the internals from melting is not a bad thing, and trying to get around it will likely cause serious damage to the camera.

I'm not a Canon shooter, but I agree with you. The R5 seems like an amazing camera, groundbreaking in many ways IMO. Canon was upfront about the limitations. In my view, it's extraordinary the amount of data that it can move, so heating is par for the course I'm afraid.

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
It is an interesting article, but I think the conclusion has to be, without a major redesign, it is what it is.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
My question is “How many people(still photographers) shoot more than a minute or so at a time, anyway?”. With outdoor subjects, you seldom have interesting action for long periods of time. Twenty minutes would be an extremely unlikely situation. Most outdoor still shooters would rather be shooting still frames unless there was an exceptional event occurring. If you like to shoot video that much, I say buy a video camera that is made for that purpose. This camera will capture enough, without any changes, in most situations.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:45 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:Well, cinema cameras which shoot 8K video genaerally have a large body and ventilation to keep the sensor and CPU from exploding (same as a PC) but in a mirrorless stills camera body that needs to be weather sealed (or the internet would explode with tales of woe) this is not possible. I think I am right in saying that the R5 is the only "stills" camera body with 8K video, but being as it is 4x the resolution of 4K it requires serious computation and bandwidth. So IMO, we have a camera that can do all the things it should PLUS it can do 8K or 4K120fps for 20minutes at a time. I see that as a bonus rather than a reason to moan at Canon.

Oh, ok, so Canon has the only stills camera body that does 8k. It'll be interesting to see how the other manufacturers will handle 8k in a stills camera. 

I saw this link on another site.  Canon executive interviewd on heating issue.  BTW, he mentions that 8K visdeo will allow high-rez image extracts from the video.

Canon executive interviewed about heat issue

by Neilyb on Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:28 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Extracting 8k stills would of course be possible, but not if shooting at 1/50 sec, which is generally what one should be using for video capture. You could of course shoot video specifically for extracting stills to gain 30fps (but as the camera shoots RAW stills at 20fps I do not see this as a huge selling point).

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:54 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s an article on extracting stills from video with a lot of info:

https://www.naturescapes.net/articles/t ... n-do-both/

Joe

9 posts |