Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by chrross on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm
chrross
Forum Contributor
I purchased a well cared for, used Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM not understanding that there were two versions of this lens. I am now wondering if I should return the version I and go for the version II. Is there a significant difference? I'm a beginner and want to invest in a long term lens for bird and nature photography. Feedback would be appreciated.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
They couldn't be more different both in operation and in optical quality. The original push-pull zoom 100-400 is nowhere near the standards needed by today's high resolution sensors. It is a lens from the film era. The new lens is a very good lens up to the demands of higher resolution sensors and is a more traditional twist zoom.

Welcome aboard, your posts will now post immediately.

by Mark Boranyak on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:13 pm
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:They couldn't be more different both in operation and in optical quality.  The original push-pull zoom 100-400 is nowhere near the standards needed by today's high resolution sensors.  It is a lens from the film era.  The new lens is a very good lens up to the demands of higher resolution sensors and is a more traditional twist zoom.

Welcome aboard, your posts will now post immediately.
Based on my experiences owning and using the original and the current version, E.J. is spot on.

If you can afford new version, get it.

by Craig Lipski on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:35 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
What they ^ said, PLUS:
-Much better IS
-A mfd of <4’

by OntPhoto on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:05 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Although I own the same lens as you (original 100-400) and know from other peoples experiences and reviews that the second version is much better in optical quality, it may depend on how much you paid for the lens.  The new version of the lens is much more expensive (plus tax).  Sure, you can buy used as well.  For years many people used the original 100-400 and have gotten  plenty of nice images from it.  Do you print or just publish on the web to share images?  If you can afford the new version of the lens, then by all means get the new version.  If you got the original 100-400 for a low price (more than 50% less than the new version) and it still works and you're happy with the images, your choice to spend more.

by chrross on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:15 pm
chrross
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Although I own the same lens as you (original 100-400) and know from other peoples experiences and reviews that the second version is much better in optical quality, it may depend on how much you paid for the lens.  The new version of the lens is much more expensive (plus tax).  Sure, you can buy used as well.  For years many people used the original 100-400 and have gotten  plenty of nice images from it.  Do you print or just publish on the web to share images?  If you can afford the new version of the lens, then by all means get the new version.  If you got the original 100-400 for a low price (more than 50% less than the new version) and it still works and you're happy with the images, your choice to spend more.
Where would I find a used newer version lens with confidence?

by jwild on Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 am
jwild
Forum Contributor
I have used both the lenses and there is no comparison between the two, the new IS II 100-400 mm lens is miles ahead ! 

by Littlefield on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:44 pm
Littlefield
Forum Contributor
Schrross wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:Although I own the same lens as you (original 100-400) and know from other peoples experiences and reviews that the second version is much better in optical quality, it may depend on how much you paid for the lens.  The new version of the lens is much more expensive (plus tax).  Sure, you can buy used as well.  For years many people used the original 100-400 and have gotten  plenty of nice images from it.  Do you print or just publish on the web to share images?  If you can afford the new version of the lens, then by all means get the new version.  If you got the original 100-400 for a low price (more than 50% less than the new version) and it still works and you're happy with the images, your choice to spend more.
Where would I find a used newer version lens with confidence?

Check out Fred Miranda Buy and Sell.
Don

8 posts |