Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Lillian Roberts on Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
I switched from Canon to Sony a few years back but had been doing mainly landscape work.  I'm getting back into a bird blind next week, getting all my equipment out to reacquaint myself, and realize that the MabBeam kit I bought a few years ago (but had never used) is so darned heavy the flash only covers half the image - less, depending how far from the subject!

Searching online doesn't yield anything either "fits-all" or made for the Nissin i40 or Nissin i600.  I used to jury-rig the Beamers to fit new flashes within the Canon line, but that doesn't look like it's going to work this time.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
Lillian Roberts
NSN Member #130

by Arnie Berger on Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 am
Arnie Berger
Forum Contributor
Lillian Roberts wrote:I switched from Canon to Sony a few years back but had been doing mainly landscape work.  I'm getting back into a bird blind next week, getting all my equipment out to reacquaint myself, and realize that the MabBeam kit I bought a few years ago (but had never used) is so darned heavy the flash only covers half the image - less, depending how far from the subject!

Searching online doesn't yield anything either "fits-all" or made for the Nissin i40 or Nissin i600.  I used to jury-rig the Beamers to fit new flashes within the Canon line, but that doesn't look like it's going to work this time.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
You might want to look at Magmod's Wildlife kit. It attaches to the flash using a magnetic rubber "band"
Arnold Berger
Powell Ohio

by Lillian Roberts on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 am
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
Arnie Berger wrote:
Lillian Roberts wrote:I switched from Canon to Sony a few years back but had been doing mainly landscape work.  I'm getting back into a bird blind next week, getting all my equipment out to reacquaint myself, and realize that the MabBeam kit I bought a few years ago (but had never used) is so darned heavy the flash only covers half the image - less, depending how far from the subject!

You might want to look at Magmod's Wildlife kit. It attaches to the flash using a magnetic rubber "band"
Is the Wildlife kit lighter than the original?  My impression from the add is that it's basically just the same thing but without the pattern-creating inserts.  The rubber extension is pretty cool but it's really heavy such that it tips when extended, interfering with the beam.

I suppose I could use the magnetic base that goes on the flash to attach an old Beamer intended for a Canon flash, with tape or a velcro band - I'll play around with that tonight.
Lillian Roberts
NSN Member #130

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Arnie Berger wrote:

WAY WAY WAY too heavy for those small and light flashes.

4 posts |