All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:17 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
There is a part where you attach the replacement or the original foot, held in place with four mediocre size screws.
I bought a Kirk Replacement foot and used it to carry the lens by that. After a short while I noticed that there was a free play or you can call it the foot was wobbling. First I thought it was the replacement foot, then I noticed that the provision for the foot was moving due to loose screws.
I tightened the loose screws.
A couple days later the whole thing started moving again.
I removed the plate and used medium strength Loctite on the threaded holes.
I had big lenses from Canon, for more than ten years, and Nikon (still do) and I never ever had this problem.
Do you know if others had this problem and what the fixing was.
Thanks Karl.
( A disappointed Sony lens owner)

by Phil Shaw on Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:22 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I stayed with the Sony "foot" and fitted a Wimberly plate to it. I have carried it by the foot (with the plate and A7R4 attached) for miles without any issues.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by owlseye on Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:37 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Karl, if it makes you feel better, I have heard of two other people who have had a similar problem. The lenses had to go back to Sony, though some people recommended using lock tight to keep the screws in place. I do not know if the application of lock tight will void the lens warranty.
While it is only little comfort to know that others have had the issue, at least you will know that you are not alone.

I had to send my 500mm PF in for repair because the tripod collar wouldn't stop rotating even if I tightened the knob as much as possible. I felt as if I was the only one on the planet w/ the issue. Finally, someone else popped up with the same problem and it appeared to be linked to the production run, as our serial numbers were within 1000 of each other.

Send it in to Sony... I sent my lens in to Nikon... sucked to be without it, but better than waiting for something worse to occur.
bruce

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use the Kirk foot and have not had that problem. But if I were buying again I would get the Hejnar Photo foot because it absolutely will not allow the foot to come off.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:18 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I've got the Wimberley, it is held by a screw on the bottom and a side screw as well. I've not had any issues with it.
Wimberley AP-620 Replacement Foot

by Karl Egressy on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:02 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Thank you all. I removed the plate, held by four little screws and put Loctite 242 (Canadian Tire brand) on the threaded holes before I put the plate back to which the foot is attached. The foot fits perfect, the plate got wobbly.
I hope it will hold firm, the screws, that is.

6 posts |