« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Jan Wegener wrote:https://www.eoshd.com/news/eoshd-testing-finds-canon-eos-r5-overheating-to-be-fake-with-artificial-timers-deployed-to-lock-out-video-mode/
this is, even more, damming, suggesting it's just a software imposed limit, maybe to protect Cinema series?
But why the outrageous recovery times and making you lose video time without even taking video. 
In most thermal control systems you build in what is called hysteresis which basically means that you don't turn things back on until the temperature drops well below the maximum set-point.  Without this, imagine a home thermostat, it would basically cycle on and of and on and off rapidly.  Clearly, if it is true that it is software controlled as is the conjecture on several sites, the low hysteresis point was set way too low and it should be a very easy FW fix or even FW hack.

One of my engineering classes in college was on thermal control systems ;)
Does it seem like it is timer controlled? I wondered about that because once it hits a certain temperature nothing you do will speed up the recovery time? I've heard of them blowing cold air on the cameras and it makes no difference so I wondered if a timing circuit was involved. It should be easy to see on a teardown...just look for a little hourglass-shaped device with sand on one side. :D

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Jan Wegener wrote:https://www.eoshd.com/news/eoshd-testing-finds-canon-eos-r5-overheating-to-be-fake-with-artificial-timers-deployed-to-lock-out-video-mode/
this is, even more, damming, suggesting it's just a software imposed limit, maybe to protect Cinema series?
But why the outrageous recovery times and making you lose video time without even taking video. 
In most thermal control systems you build in what is called hysteresis which basically means that you don't turn things back on until the temperature drops well below the maximum set-point.  Without this, imagine a home thermostat, it would basically cycle on and of and on and off rapidly.  Clearly, if it is true that it is software controlled as is the conjecture on several sites, the low hysteresis point was set way too low and it should be a very easy FW fix or even FW hack.

One of my engineering classes in college was on thermal control systems ;)
Does it seem like it is timer controlled? I wondered about that because once it hits a certain temperature nothing you do will speed up the recovery time? I've heard of them blowing cold air on the cameras and it makes no difference so I wondered if a timing circuit was involved. It should be easy to see on a teardown...just look for a little hourglass-shaped device with sand on one side. :D
That is what some sites are suggesting.

22 posts |