Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:18 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
My 64 GB 2017 Lexar XQD card has a chip off the top, which fell into the card slot. At first I didn't notice and thought the camera was at fault. Then it fell out. Bottom line, card still works , but I am afraid it might not at some point. Any recommendations for a replacement? On B&H I see mostly Sony and even Nikon sells a card. I have other Lexar SD cards break off at the top, so I'm not a happy camper. Those stopped working.

This is for Nikon D500 or 850...

Thanks for your thoughts.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by DChan on Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:46 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
A quick google found the following:

Top Best XQD Cards (2020)

Certainly there're other references available and opinions around.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sony invented the format so that''s what I would go with :)

by david fletcher on Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:31 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Hi Cindy. If it still works it suggest the chip is not where the data is transferred. (off the top might not be critical as it suggests the gold plates were not affected and maybe the bit that dropped off and temporarily interfered with the connection). (when it fell out, normal service resumed).

Am second guessing but feel no need to buy another card. Suggest keep an eye on it.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Gary Gulash on Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:02 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Hi Cindy. I had a Sony XQD card that developed a chip/crack in it. Being stubborn I continued to use it, until one day the card stuck in my then new D500. I managed to lift the card out with a forceps, but the broken part of the business end of the card remained behind attached in the bowels of the card slot. More surgery and a lot of swabbing of my brow and I got the broken bits out. I had another Sony card develop a crack in the same area. Three take home messages I learned: 1. Don't use a broken card 2. All the talk of how tough and durable and foolproof these "rugged" XQD cards is false, they are prone to breakage in my opinion 3. I am careful to not drop my cards and treat them as the fragile bits of plastic they are.

Gary

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:31 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Gary Gulash wrote:Hi Cindy. I had a Sony XQD card that developed a chip/crack in it. Being stubborn I continued to use it, until one day the card stuck in my then new D500. I managed to lift the card out with a forceps, but the broken part of the business end of the card remained behind attached in the bowels of the card slot. More surgery and a lot of swabbing of my brow and I got the broken bits out. I had another Sony card develop a crack in the same area. Three take home messages I learned: 1. Don't use a broken card  2. All the talk of how tough and durable and foolproof these "rugged" XQD cards is false, they are prone to breakage in my opinion  3. I am careful to not drop my cards and treat them as the fragile bits of plastic they are.

Gary
A sobering story Gary. I don't think this card was abused. I think the thin tops are just fragile-I heed your warnings. My other, Sony card has been fine...so far. All these cards are outrageously expensive-I paid $200 for the Lexar 3 years ago!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

6 posts |