Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:39 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Here is why I am asking.  Let's say I want to hang onto my 6-year old Canon 7D MK2. Repairs are inevitibaly going to be required.  Replace the shutter, mirror.  Maybe $500.  Any breakdowns in the 7D MK2 which may not be repairable?  I am trying to figure out the cost difference between getting a second 7D MK2 or just continue using the existing 7D MK2 and keep reparing it if needed.  This plan only works if everything with the 7D MK2 can be repairable.  If something breaks in the camera and it can't be repaired, then I would have been better off buying a new 7D MK2 when it was still available. (yes, there is always the used market but I prefer to buy new).

I mean, there will no longer be any 7D MK2.  It's discontinued. There are no other options if you shoot Canon and want the same AF performance as the 7D Mk2.  I want to have the ability to use such a camera for another 6+ years at least. The game changer will be the rumoured R-body but APS-C sized sensor.  In that case, I will just need to buy the EF-R adapter and Canon won't put the high-performace APS-C photographers out to dry.

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:55 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
To help with decision making, I called up a couple of places.  Canon Canada said there hasn’t been any official announcement made about the 7D MK2 being discontinued but it may just be a matter of timing.  7D MK2 product has been removed from their eStore.  The Canon person I spoke to said that parts are normally still available for at least 5 years after a product has been discontinued.  

With the above in mind, I can keep my existing 6 year old 7D MK2 for another 5 to 6 years and just repair it if needed.  A shutter replacement at Sun Camera may cost around $260 CAD.  As long as there isn’t any non-repairable parts, I should be OK.  If it gets stolen, then I’m out of luck unless I buy used.

Can anyone think of any non-repairable parts in a 7D MK2?  What if the AF system goes bad?  Can that be repaired (I assume so but just never really know)?

I can get my hands on a new 7D MK2 now but CR is teasing at a possible new high-end APS-C possibly in an R series body.  Time will tell on this rumour.  This is what is keeping me from jumping on a new 7D MK2 and the fact that my existing 7D MK2 can be repaired for next 5 years at least barring any non-repairable parts.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sure an AF sensor can fail but it's super unlikely - in general whenever an AF system fails inside the camera it isn't actually the AF sensor but rather the secondary mirror behind the main mirror that bounces the light down to the AF sensor. You are way more likely to have mechanical components fail like a shutter, a mirror, buttons, etc. The rear LCD can fail or just start to wash out but that's an easy fix. Most parts in a camera that are likely to fail are not repairable, the parts are simply replaced, that is nearly 100% true for any electronic part. When parts run out you either buy another camera, there should be plenty on the used market for quite some time, get a trashed camera that can be parted out, make a switch, etc.

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Sure an AF sensor can fail but it's super unlikely - in general whenever an AF system fails inside the camera it isn't actually the AF sensor but rather the secondary mirror behind the main mirror that bounces the light down to the AF sensor.  You are way more likely to have mechanical components fail like a shutter, a mirror, buttons, etc.  The rear LCD can fail or just start to wash out but that's an easy fix.  Most parts in a camera that are likely to fail are not repairable, the parts are simply replaced, that is nearly 100% true for any electronic part.  When parts run out you either buy another camera, there should be plenty on the used market for quite some time, get a trashed camera that can be parted out, make a switch, etc.
Thanks EJ.  Yes, you are correct in that most parts are not "repaired" but replaced.  Good to know about the durability of AF system as it's probably on a chip (I assume)?  So, I can pretty much keep using my 7D MK2 for next 6 years and not worry unless it gets stolen or I somehow lose it (drops to the bottom of a lake).  Repair costs will be less expensive than buying a second new one.  I would like to have given a heads up so I could have bought one before they ended up disappearing from retailers. 

My biggest worry right now is if I buy another new 7D MK2 (I can get my hands on one), and that CR rumour turns out to be a 7D MK3 :-)  Oh, that would hurt ALOT. 

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:55 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I can't see a world where Canon would ever come out with an EOS 7D3

by OntPhoto on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:27 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I can't see a world where Canon would ever come out with an EOS 7D3
Thanks.  Oh well, all good things must come to an end.  I know, the R-series has many new features and improvements such as in-camera IS.  From what you have seen so far with the R-series cameras and the recently announced R5 and R6, what is your overall opinion about the R-series versus the Canon cameras of old (1DX-MK3, 7D MK2)?  Of course, I assume Canon makes the R-series as robust as the pre-R cameras. 

Nevermind, I see there is a thread on the R5 and R6.

6 posts |