Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:18 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I checked Canon estore and it said out of stock.  I checked Adorama and B&H and it said 'no longer available'.  I never heard any announcement about the 7D MK2 being discontinued except that the 7D line may be discontinued. 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I went to the Canon USA site and clicked on Where To Buy and it came back with no longer available so that would indicate that it is out of production.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
All the info online suggests that it was definitely discontinued, but B&H still has it with accessories:

B&H

And Adorama with a lens:

Adorama

https://www.canonrumors.com/rest-well-canon-eos-7d-series-cr2/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:05 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ and Joe.  I was planning to get a second 7D MK2 if no MK3 was coming.  No MK3 is coming.  I should have acted earlier but never heard any official news on whether the MK2 was going to be discontinued or will they just keep selling it and just not produce any MK3.

I mean for 7D MK2 users, what other options are there for us?  Not the 90D.  I really like the 7D MK2 and current camera is 6 years old. How much longer will it last?  I want to use the 1.6x crop factor.

If Canon has discontinued the 7D MK2, what about servicing?  My current 7D MK2 never required any servicing and I use it regularly.

How well does the R-series adapters work with Canon EF lenses?  Any noticeable performance issues or is performance and quality transparent?  There are rumours about Canon possibly coming out with an APS-C size sensor for the R-series.  This is only viable if EF lenses work as well with the R-adapter as it would on a a Canon 7D MK2?

UPDATE:
OK, I had to do a few hours quick catch-up on the R-Series.  I admit to not paying much attention to R-series as I had no intention of buying an R-series.  I was happy and content with the APS-C line.  Whoa, eye-opener. I see the EF-R adapter works just fine.  So, no worries there.  Excuse me for being late to the R-series but I can see why Canon designed it.  In camera image-stabilization, much better AF.  Tracking of bird and animal heads in the upcoming R6. The R6 is supposed to have the same sensor as the 1DX MK3 so why would someone buy the 1DX MK3 if the R6 apparently can do about the same job?  Why even buy a 5D MK4?  More Googling.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Ozark Bill on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:54 am
Ozark Bill
Forum Contributor
This and your other question are pretty important. The initial reviews of mirrorless, including the R6, suggest that this technology is not really ready for fast-paced wildlife and sports. I'm wondering what will be the new alternatives for us now that it seems top of the line APS-C bodies will no longer be produced. I already own 2 7D mkii bodies and am wondering if I should pick up another late production copy. I still can't believe Canon would not release the mkiii.

Please feel free to disagree as I know you will. I do not have much experience with mirrorless, but my assumptions have come from a number of "pro" reviewers of such things.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Ozark Bill wrote:This and your other question are pretty important. The initial reviews of mirrorless, including the R6, suggest that this technology is not really ready for fast-paced wildlife and sports. I'm wondering what will be the new alternatives for us now that it seems top of the line APS-C bodies will no longer be produced. I already own 2 7D mkii bodies and am wondering if I should pick up another late production copy. I still can't believe Canon would not release the mkiii.

Please feel free to disagree as I know you will. I do not have much experience with mirrorless, but my assumptions have come from a number of "pro" reviewers of such things.
Even if top of the line APS-C bodies are no longer produced, top of the line full frame ones will and they can be shot in APS-C mode.  For example the R5 in APS-C is 18 megapixels - not too different from the 20mp of a 7D2.  The Sony system is a great example where the 61mp a7R4 in APS-C mode is a 26mp camera which is equal to the highest mp APS-C cameras on the market.

by OntPhoto on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:52 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Ozark Bill wrote:This and your other question are pretty important. The initial reviews of mirrorless, including the R6, suggest that this technology is not really ready for fast-paced wildlife and sports. I'm wondering what will be the new alternatives for us now that it seems top of the line APS-C bodies will no longer be produced. I already own 2 7D mkii bodies and am wondering if I should pick up another late production copy. I still can't believe Canon would not release the mkiii.
i have only glanced thru a few reviews including one on youtube where the heat issue was discussed. Can you point us to some of the reviews you are referring to?  

7 posts |