All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:28 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Not to be outdone by fixed aperture f/11 super telephoto lenses, here comes Tokina with the reintroduction of catadioptric mirror lenses:
https://tokinalens.com/product/szx_super_tele_400mm_f8_reflex_mf/

If nothing else, it is super tiny with 67mm filter threads!  Adaptable to Fuji, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic (m43)

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:39 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
No Nikon Z or Canon R compatibility announced but you could always get the Nikon F or Canon EF version and then use the Nikon or Canon adapters for their DSLR lenses so you would be in a double adapter situation but it would work.

by Swissblad on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:43 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Interesting to see this lens form emerge again.....reminds me of our Minolta 250mm f5.6 and Tamron 500mm f8.0......wonder if the donut ring bokeh will become popular again?

by KK Hui on Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:18 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
The down side of course is MF.
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
KK Hui wrote:The down side of course is MF.
And horrific Bokeh

by Bill Chambers on Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
True, it's smaller than the old ones, and lighter, but for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would want this. Why is Tokina going backwards and not forward?
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Ed Cordes on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:13 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Interesting discussion. I will admit that many decades ago, in the film days - remember them? - I bought a 500mm mirror lens. I was just getting into photography, on line forums, where good advice and training could be had, were not even a pipe dream. The lure of 500 mm at a very cheap price was strong enough to make me buy one from the local camera store at the mall. I didn't know anything about techie stuff, so the limited aperture meant nothing to me at the time. Bokeh? Back then, I never heard of it. Heck, I do remember wondering why my Minolta would not autofocus this lens when it was billed as an AF lens!

My point is that 1. this discussion brings back a lot of memories; 2. Wow, have we all learned a lot over the decades; 3. yes, Tokina is going backwards; 4. perhaps they really just want to turn over some cash with the naïve budding photographers who just don't understand. We were all beginners at one time. The difference is that in today's environment, with the internet, and great forums like this, reliable info is available so those young photographers do have access to information so they can make better decisions.

I don't wish Tokina bad, but I do wish they would have put the product development and promotion into a more modern tool.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

7 posts |