Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
https://www.dpreview.com/news/682717736 ... -autofocus

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Primarily a video centric camera as has been the case for the a7s series but astro photographers that do not need high megapixels really like this camera because it has such low noise at high ISO values - by far the lowest of any camera on the market.  One really notable feature of this camera is that it takes EVF's to a completely new level nearly doubling the resolution of the best available to date and it is also projects a dramatically bigger image size - almost like looking through a medium format camera.  Also there is a completely revamped menu system - something virtually every reviewer has been asking for.  We will see if it addresses the issues and also if they release it as an option in a future FW release for other Sony cameras.

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
I realize it's not a camera that people would use focus bracketing for, but I hoped it would be included as a precursor to adding it to other cameras in their lineup.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I realize it's not a camera that people would use focus bracketing for, but I hoped it would be included as a precursor to adding it to other cameras in their lineup.
Sony seems incredibly tone deaf and stubborn on that.  My conclusion is that either the CPU isn't powerful enough, the camera doesn't count motor units, or there isn't enough free space in the internal FW storage to implement the feature.  There's plenty of things I would give up for that.  It's one of the reasons why landscape photography with my Fuji GFX is infinitely more enjoyable than landscape photography with any Sony camera.

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:23 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
I'm not a video person, so I might be way off base here, but it doesn't look like an update that needed 5 years to arrive.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I'm not a video person, so I might be way off base here, but it doesn't look like an update that needed 5 years to arrive.
Internal 4K/120 10 bit 4:2:2 without overheating was simply not possible in this form factor even a year ago...

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I'm not a video person, so I might be way off base here, but it doesn't look like an update that needed 5 years to arrive.
Internal 4K/120 10 bit 4:2:2 without overheating was simply not possible in this form factor even a year ago...

Interesting, I've thought about video in the past, but it's a different mindset and I enjoy stills so I never bothered with it. 

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Overheating is also a Sony problem under certain circumstances according to this:

Sony Overheating Problem

Even faster overheating than Canon!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:03 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Overheating is also a Sony problem under certain circumstances according to this:

Sony Overheating Problem

Even faster overheating than Canon!

Joe

Did the previous version of the camera have overheating issues?

9 posts |