Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:17 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I'm looking at updating my canon g-11.  Must admit I don't use it much any more with my iphone.  Any thoughts?  Would like it to be at least equivalent to 24-105 in full frame equivalent and have an eye level viewfinder.

by Swissblad on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:37 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
You might find this selection on DPREVIEW helpful.

by Jeff Pearl on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:23 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
Camera labs usually has some good suggestions and comparisons on their site. https://www.cameralabs.com/best-point-and-shoot/

by ChrisRoss on Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:09 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
The G-11 style compacts are just about extinct now. In cameras with that small sensor size all that there are now are the super zoom models with 25x plus zoom ratios and the action oriented waterproof models like the Oly TG-6 and Panasonic and Nikon equivalents.

There is a good range of 1" sensor models as linked above most don't have eye level viewfinders, though the Panasonic LX-100 -II & ZS-200 and Canon G5x-II have an EVF. What the 1" models tend to lack compared to the G-11 is super closeup abilities which comes with using a tiny 1/2/3" sensor.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:11 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:The G-11 style compacts are just about extinct now.  In cameras with that small sensor size all that there are now are the super zoom models with 25x plus zoom ratios and the action oriented waterproof models like the Oly TG-6 and Panasonic and Nikon equivalents.  

There is a good range of 1" sensor models as linked above most don't have eye level viewfinders, though the Panasonic LX-100 -II & ZS-200 and Canon G5x-II have an EVF.  What the 1" models tend to lack compared to the G-11 is super closeup abilities which comes with using a tiny 1/2/3" sensor.

I prefer eye level viewfinder.  Thanks for your summary.  Looking at g5x-ii and tg-6.  Probably for 2 different uses.  I guess it is going to become the iphone and a mirrorless interchangeable like canon R series with nothing in between. That's progress?

5 posts |