Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r5-initial-review
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r6-initial-review

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Ok, I'll say it again, Sony suddenly looks old school. It'll be interesting to see the performance of the R5 with their adapted lenses and their sensor quality. I suspect big fast telephotos can't be too far behind now.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Hi Scott, could you please elaborate on the "old school" comment. While this is clearly a major advance for Canon, especially on the video side, how does it make a camera like the Sony a7R4 look old school?

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:42 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Hi Scott, could you please elaborate on the "old school" comment.  While this is clearly a major advance for Canon, especially on the video side, how does it make a camera like the Sony a7R4 look old school?

IMO, it leapfrogs Sony in that you get a high megapixel camera like an A7R4(I realize 61 is not the same as 45), and the speed of an A9 with seemingly high performing AF as well. There are other perks as well, like smaller Raw files, faster cards, etc. So for me, it would be one camera to carry instead of the two. Of course, real-world performance is another matter, but it looks like a winner for Canon folk.
It's probably a bit melodramatic to say, "old school." lol

by Rhett on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:16 am
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
I haven't had time to look at it in detail yet. Will it support my old lenses? 500/800?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Rhett wrote:I haven't had time to look at it in detail yet.  Will it support my old lenses?  500/800?
With an adapter yes but don't expect the same AF tracking performances as those lenses are designed for a completely different type of AF system.

by Scott B on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:34 pm
Scott B
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Rhett wrote:I haven't had time to look at it in detail yet.  Will it support my old lenses?  500/800?
With an adapter yes but don't expect the same AF tracking performances as those lenses are designed for a completely different type of AF system.
That is one of my big questions is how well my old lenses will perform with an adapter and how well the new focusing system does in similar situations.  I think it competes well with Sony, has caught up in most areas and exceeded in some.  Dynamic Range is still a big unanswered question also.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott B wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
That is one of my big questions is how well my old lenses will perform with an adapter and how well the new focusing system does in similar situations.  I think it competes well with Sony, has caught up in most areas and exceeded in some.  Dynamic Range is still a big unanswered question also.
Not on the R6, it uses the same sensor as the 1Dx III although it remains to be seen if you get the 1Dx3 DSLR DR or the Live View electronic DR which is less.

It will be interesting to see how the dynamic range on the R5 fares.  If it's within 2/3 of a stop or so of a Sony a7R3 (similar pixel pitch), it means that Canon made a big step over their previous high megapixel offerings.

by EGrav on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:45 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Everything I have read, says there is no degradation of AF using EF lenses on the R or RP. I seriously doubt that there will be any difference with the R5 or R6.

Last edited by EGrav on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
EGrav wrote:Everything I have read, says there is no degradation of AF using EF lenses on the R or RP. I seriously doubt that there will be any difference with the R5 or R6.
With wide to short tele focal lengths it is minimal and most people don't really notice much of a difference but we are talking large super teles that do not have the dual linear motors (they have a traditional single USM motor) which in general what is needed to get similar AF performance on a super-tele.  Proof is in the pudding so we will see but in general, super teles for DSLRs have not fared that well on mirrorless cameras for tracking erratic movement.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Video that compares the two models:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7EXIvbhtS4

by gannis on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:45 am
gannis
Forum Contributor
There are few things that are still unclear so far:
1. Does it offer 20 FPS shooting over EVF or is it a live view only feature?
2. Lack of rolling shutter when using electronic shutter - One of the Canon ambassadors (Martin Bissig) talks about rolling shutter when using electronic shutter
3. True black-out free shooting like A9 series

2 & 3 seem to be highly unlikely
Regards,
Ganesh

by Neilyb on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:54 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
1) EVF and live view should be the same thing.
2) Since nobody was shouting about it I take it rolling shutter is still quite evident.

by Neilyb on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:09 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
As I was already reasonably happy with my R in low light the R6 might be brilliant, they do say an extra stop of DR, but that will not apply to ISO3200 onwards no douobt.
Full frame 4k will be nice too (better if they offered a crop mode too) but lacking the 120fps option (which does cause overheating when used heavily)

Not sure Sony looks old school really? Sony have had faster, better mirrorless tracking and decent video options for FOREVER, Canon just caught up yesterday.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:08 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:As I was already reasonably happy with my R in low light the R6 might be brilliant, they do say an extra stop of DR, but that will not apply to ISO3200 onwards no douobt.
Full frame 4k will be nice too (better if they offered a crop mode too) but lacking the 120fps option (which does cause overheating when used heavily)

Not sure Sony looks old school really? Sony have had faster, better mirrorless tracking and decent video options for FOREVER, Canon just caught up yesterday.

That's part of my point I guess, the competition will likely be fierce going forward. Canon and Nikon were slower to adopt, but Canon made a giant leap forward, which will be good for all of us(hopefully) in the long run.

by RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto on Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:20 am
RichardMittleman/Gon2Foto
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Scott B wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Not on the R6, it uses the same sensor as the 1Dx III although it remains to be seen if you get the 1Dx3 DSLR DR or the Live View electronic DR which is less.

It will be interesting to see how the dynamic range on the R5 fares.  If it's within 2/3 of a stop or so of a Sony a7R3 (similar pixel pitch), it means that Canon made a big step over their previous high megapixel offerings.
Canon is offering two different adapters a "simple" one and a Control Ring Adapter. It's not clear to me what exactly the difference is and is it worth the additional $100 for the Ring adapter?
http://www.gon2foto.net (current site)   
The grandeur of nature is God's glory.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:15 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
gannis wrote:There are few things that are still unclear so far:
1. Does it offer 20 FPS shooting over EVF or is it a live view only feature?
2. Lack of rolling shutter when using electronic shutter - One of the Canon ambassadors (Martin Bissig) talks about rolling shutter when using electronic shutter
3. True black-out free shooting like A9 series

2 & 3 seem to be highly unlikely
1. Live view and EVF is the same thing - an EVF is a LiveView image, there is no optical path to the viewfinder so there will be no difference whether shooting through the EVF or the rear LCD in frame rate.

by Ed Cordes on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:58 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
My understanding is that the control ring adapter will all an EF lens to function like an RF lens in that the control ring can be programed to access and control various camera functions more efficiently than having to access them from menu on the body.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by WJaekel on Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:31 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
From what I've read so far, the R5 certainly is a promising camera. Battery life is not very good, though, according to the CIPA specs, You better invest in several spare batteries for longer shootings- or in the grip, at least. The option to extract 35 MB(?) files from 8K video sounds interesting, too.  But the "revolutionary" 8K video itself  (and even 4K) probably will be pretty limited due to heat issues with 20min recording time at maximum and 10 min pause after the camera has shot down - and  another 3 min before it needs another 10min to cool down. In warmer enviroments over 23°C the recording time is even much shorter

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-eos-r5 ... 4k-and-8k/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-g800l ... dex=2&t=1s

I'm not much into video to date, though. Anyways, for me it comes down to the question, how animal eye tracking, tracking AF in general, in-body stabilization etc will work with the EF lenses as mentioned in the previous post above. We will have to wait and see. I could think of investing in some RF glass such as the 24-105 in the long run and the R5 maybe could replace my 5DsR as a HiRes camera, especially for landscapes by then.  But I will not skip or limit the performance of all my EF glass including the 200-400 and 600mm for a switch to ML. Just my 2 Cents.

Wolfgang
http://www.wjaekel-foto.de

by jeff Parker on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:44 pm
jeff Parker
Forum Contributor
23C is a warmer environment? That's positively chilly in most of the places I go.

103 posts |