Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 103 posts | 
by WJaekel on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:45 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
jeff Parker wrote:23C is a warmer environment?  That's positively chilly in most of the places I go.
Sorry Jeff, if I didn't express myself well : The recording time of 8K evidentally is much shorter than 20 minutes if the temperature is HIGHER than the standard of 23C they refer to in the specs linked above.

Wolfgang

by Mike Veltri on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:03 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
Hello all,
I for one own the Eos R and the R drives the 600II with no problems at all. I shoot a 1Dx II normally with the 600 II.
As far as auto focus the R has no problems and actually gives slightly sharper images than the 1Dx II with all lenses I own.
The eye auto tracking on the R has no problem keeping up with my 1 1/2 year old grandson that runs around erratically at times, and it stays on his eye.
I also have a lot of Canon EF lens like the 85 1.4 IS and 35 II, 14 2/8, 70-200 II, 16-35 f4, Macro lens and all work perfectly with the eos R and the Canon adapter. Even the adapter and a tele on the 600II and no issues with the R. The R5 I am sure will do much better than the R on all fronts.

Most of the questions you are likely to ask, are explained in the B&H intro with Ruddy Winston.
They say it might be the highest resolution camera Canon has ever made surpassing the 5Ds due to the new low pass filter and new sensor.

Cheers,
Mike Veltri

by absu on Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:36 am
absu
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:My understanding is that the control ring adapter will all an EF lens to function like an RF lens in that the control ring can be programed to access and control various camera functions more efficiently than having to access them from menu on the body.
RF lenses has a control ring which give easy access to aperture & other exposure setting including exposure compensation. This additional control ring in EF-R adapture will do the same job for EF lenses those don't have the control ring inbuilt.
Anirban Basu

"Beauty is simply reality seen with the eyes of love" 
— Rabindranath Tagore

Email: anirbanbasu0606@gmail.com

by Glenn Bartley on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm
Glenn Bartley
Forum Contributor
Member #:01298
Is it just me or are most of the interesting features geared towards filmmakers?

I mean the IBIS would be sweet.

If dynamic range and ISO performance are significantly better than previous bodies that's a plus.

But for wildlife and especially bird photographers I'm not sure there is much to be excited about. Especially for $5K Canadian dollars. What am I missing?
Glenn Bartley - See more images & learn about exciting photo workshops: www.glennbartley.com

by mortsgah on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:11 pm
mortsgah
Forum Contributor
I concur with Glenn's comment. This does seem to be a lot of the talking points in the reviews I have taken the time to look at or read. There are so many out there right now I need to let the dust settle a bit!

As a photographer who has held on to my big canon glass in hopes that Canon would one day produce an acceptable mirror less body that I could use for wildlife, I am hopeful. I have heard both positive and negative claims of AF performance with the Canon Mirror less adapter which I take with a grain of salt since this was with the original R body which wasn't held in high regards for its AF performance even with native RF lenses. My fingers are crossed the new R bodies will perform acceptably and I can blow the dust off my big Canon glass.

The other 'spec' I haven't yet seen discussed in detail (with supportive test data) is a comparison of the noise performance of the two sensors. On one hand I like the higher megapixel sensors for the ability to crop, but since they are generally smaller pixels you 'typically' give up some high ISO performance (broad brush statement). But how much in real use will it be? Paper specs and data are one thing. Real world use wins the day for me.

I am glad to see this move from Canon regardless.
erik
http://www.erikhagstrom.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
jeff Parker wrote:23C is a warmer environment?  That's positively chilly in most of the places I go.
That's a basic winter day where I live :)

by hullyjr on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
My interest in these models is the animal autofocusing especially birds. I've watched a couple of unofficial videos but I have to say I'm impressed:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vrjf3TMxhw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkXWQpv ... mb_rel_end
Tracking the bird eyes really surprised me, at least two of those birds have a dark faces.

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by Lensmaster on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:28 am
Lensmaster
Forum Contributor
This guy explains a bit about the AF in the new cameras a bit long but 12.30 in he talks about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiCmV2WRdUs.

Rob.

by Primus on Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:33 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I am an ex-Canon shooter too and I am so happy that Canon has finally produced these cameras. Nothing is ever perfect but this is a huge leap forward for the company and for those who persisted with Canon glass. Competition is always good and I am also confident Sony will come up with improvements to their own line-up. The a9 is already close to ideal for my kind of work, if they could produce a 40-50 MPx version it would be almost perfect.

Meanwhile, my photo buddy who shoots Nikon is very upset. He too finds it harder to lug huge bodies and lenses and was looking forward to a mirrorless option from Nikon. Hopefully they too will come up with better offerings in the near future.

Pradeep

by WJaekel on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:22 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Glenn Bartley wrote:Is it just me or are most of the interesting features geared towards filmmakers?

If dynamic range and ISO performance are significantly better than previous bodies that's a plus.

But for wildlife and especially bird photographers I'm not sure there is much to be excited about. Especially for $5K Canadian dollars. What am I missing?
In fact the headlines are dominated by the video specs, especially 8K - though its use is pretty limited due to heat problems causing a short recording time and long pause once the camera has shut down. (But you could extract 35MP files from 8K for stills, at least :-)

Nevertheless, if animal eye-tracking works as advertised it could be a real bonus for wildlife and bird photographers -even for BIF. The first examples I've seen look pretty good, at least :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR ... kXWQpvU0mI

I think the almost unlimited spread of the AF-points compared to the restrictions of DSLRs could be useful for some, too.

The fully articulated screen may be advantageous for macro, and the resolution of 45MP gives more room for cropping. I guess that the quality of cropped images probably is better for DR, noise etc. - compared to the native 7d2 or the crops on the 5DsR. For landscapes the resolution will be good, too - Canon says it equals the + 5MP of the 5DsR. We will see if that is true.

As for IBIS, the effect drops with the use of lenses above 200mm and mainly the IS comes into play for the big lenses. ISIS works best in the wide to normal focal range. 

The price is nearly € 4400.- here in Germany. Furthermore, you need the EF-R-adapter which adds € 210-440  depending on the version (unless you give up on your EF line, off course) , maybe the grip and additional batteries.......So it's a considerable investment and I personally don't know yet if the new features in fact are worth it and "improve my photography" - given the fact that I have an arsenal of DSLRs (7d2, 5D Mark IV, 5DsR, 1 DxIII) which covers all my needs so far and I don't intend to switch completely to ML in the foreseeable future. If the R5 turns out to be the proclaimed "game changer" I would need to sell two of those cameras, at least. That said, the prices on the used market are pretty down due to COVID and the ML hype.

Wolfgang
http://www.wjaekel-foto.de

by Glenn Bartley on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:07 am
Glenn Bartley
Forum Contributor
WJaekel wrote:
Glenn Bartley wrote:Is it just me or are most of the interesting features geared towards filmmakers?

In fact the headlines are dominated by the video specs, especially 8K - though its use is pretty limited due to heat problems causing a short recording time and long pause once the camera has shut down. (But you could extract 35MP files from 8K for stills, at least :-)

Nevertheless, if animal eye-tracking works as advertised it could be a real bonus for wildlife and bird photographers -even for BIF. The first examples I've seen look pretty good, at least :

I think the almost unlimited spread of the AF-points compared to the restrictions of DSLRs could be useful for some, too.

The fully articulated screen may be advantageous for macro, and the resolution of 45MP gives more room for cropping. I guess that the quality of cropped images probably is better for DR, noise etc. - compared to the native 7d2 or the crops on the 5DsR. For landscapes the resolution will be good, too - Canon says it equals the + 5MP of the 5DsR. We will see if that is true.

As for IBIS, the effect drops with the use of lenses above 200mm and mainly the IS comes into play for the big lenses. ISIS works best in the wide to normal focal range. 

The price is nearly € 4400.- here in Germany. Furthermore, you need the EF-R-adapter which adds € 210-440  depending on the version (unless you give up on your EF line, off course) , maybe the grip and additional batteries.......So it's a considerable investment and I personally don't know yet if the new features in fact are worth it and "improve my photography" - given the fact that I have an arsenal of DSLRs (7d2, 5D Mark IV, 5DsR, 1 DxIII) which covers all my needs so far and I don't intend to switch completely to ML in the foreseeable future. If the R5 turns out to be the proclaimed "game changer" I would need to sell two of those cameras, at least. That said, the prices on the used market are pretty down due to COVID and the ML hype.

Wolfgang
That's a great assessment. Kind of confirms my thoughts. Especially if the IBIS doesn't add much on my 600mm. 

If that is the case I just cant see upgrading to these.

But lets see the real world cameras and ISO performance I suppose first.

I wonder if there is any chance they will ever release a crop body R camera? 
Glenn Bartley - See more images & learn about exciting photo workshops: www.glennbartley.com

by hullyjr on Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:23 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
Glenn Bartley wrote:
WJaekel wrote:

Wolfgang
That's a great assessment. Kind of confirms my thoughts. Especially if the IBIS doesn't add much on my 600mm. 

If that is the case I just cant see upgrading to these.

But lets see the real world cameras and ISO performance I suppose first.

I wonder if there is any chance they will ever release a crop body R camera? 
This also aligns with my initial thoughts. However, after using Nikon's D500 + 500PF, I need to see a real improvement in the focusing of these new Canon bodies. I thought my DSLRs were okay (esp. 5DIV) but the D500 just blows them away. Moving to mirrorless with the potential for better focus tracking looks like real progress especially for bird photography. The real key for me is how these cameras behave with the existing big white lenses. After using the Nikon system, my Canon 600mm is collecting dust! I have my own issues with using Nikon and would like to go back to Canon. Canon's first R supertele (excluding the f/11 "experiments") should be a 600mm f/5.6 DO with built-in 1.4x!

Having a fully articulated screen is IMHO essential for macro. I shoot moths & flowers but struggle using either a fixed screen (5DIV) or the simple tilt type (M6II). Many images are in portrait mode and you need a fully articulated screen.

I too want a crop body but the R5 gets you close to 20MP for a hefty premium! Being stuck at home leads you to try wacky camera/lens combinations. I've been experimenting with Canon's M6II + 600/4 + 1.4. Initially I thought this would never replace my 7DII but under certain circumstances it does a much better job! Using the rear screen as a focus pad and those extra pixels gave me great results. The biggest downside is the batteries die even quicker but I have an AC adapter.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
First hands-on video NOT from a Canon Ambassador that I've seen - pretty much just a camera overview, definitely not a review:
R5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvU4WNb6-J4
R6 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDP0kCw9Ewc

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Canon issues clarification regarding overheating:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/096533922 ... r6-cameras

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jan Wegener on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:30 pm
Jan Wegener
Forum Contributor
Member #:00917
I for one are very much looking forward to the R5 and hope it arrives soon, so I can see what the hype is all about.
It seems to be light years ahead in terms of capabilities compared to any other Canon camera.
I have been shooting for a 5D Mark Iv for years and been very happy with it, but there's things one could definitely improve and it seems the R5 does all that. Especially when it comes to the AF and frame rate. 12fps @ 45mpix? Nuts
100% Af coverage, and if the animal eye AF works as good as some of the YT videos show, this feature alone will be a big game-changer.

I have been doing more and more videos for my Youtube channel and online courses, so the video features have become a lot more important to me and the R5 offers all you'd want in that regard. Since you can shoot 4k/30 without overheating (but with pixel binning), the whole overheating thing shouldn't really be an issue. Having the option to use cropped or uncropped 4k will also be great for birds.

I haven't shot with crop 1.6 since the good old 20D days and I can't say I have missed it, sometimes it would be nice, but full frame works just fine, especially when we are getting into the 50 mpix range.

It wasn't mentioned here, but afaik, the R5 does have an optional 1.6 crop mode.

by Glenn Bartley on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:03 pm
Glenn Bartley
Forum Contributor
Jan Wegener wrote:I for one are very much looking forward to the R5 and hope it arrives soon, so I can see what the hype is all about.
It seems to be light years ahead in terms of capabilities compared to any other Canon camera.
I have been shooting for a 5D Mark Iv for years and been very happy with it, but there's things one could definitely improve and it seems the R5 does all that. Especially when it comes to the AF and frame rate. 12fps @ 45mpix? Nuts
100% Af coverage, and if the animal eye AF works as good as some of the YT videos show, this feature alone will be a big game-changer.  

I have been doing more and more videos for my Youtube channel and online courses, so the video features have become a lot more important to me and the R5 offers all you'd want in that regard. Since you can shoot 4k/30 without overheating (but with pixel binning), the whole overheating thing shouldn't really be an issue. Having the option to use cropped or uncropped 4k will also be great for birds.

I haven't shot with crop 1.6 since the good old 20D days and I can't say I have missed it, sometimes it would be nice, but full frame works just fine, especially when we are getting into the 50 mpix range.

It wasn't mentioned here, but afaik, the R5 does have an optional 1.6 crop mode.
Great thoughts Jan.

Anyone know what the MP would be in 1.6 crop mode?? If the viewfinder actually "zooms" in? Or if we just get the less helpful grayed out perimeter??

If that crop mode actually works like a 1.6 crop body and has improved IQ and noise. And if that AF tracking works well then we could have a real winner.

I'd also love to hear more about whether the IBIS works at all on the big super telephotos???

G

by Mark Boranyak on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:52 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
Glenn Bartley wrote:
Jan Wegener wrote:I for one are very much looking forward to the R5 and hope it arrives soon, so I can see what the hype is all about.

Great thoughts Jan.

Anyone know what the MP would be in 1.6 crop mode?? If the viewfinder actually "zooms" in? Or if we just get the less helpful grayed out perimeter??

If that crop mode actually works like a 1.6 crop body and has improved IQ and noise. And if that AF tracking works well then we could have a real winner.

I'd also love to hear more about whether the IBIS works at all on the big super telephotos???

G
Tech rep at B&H reports the R5 in APS-C mode is 17MP. Don't know if it's zoomed in our grayed out.

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:57 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Mark Boranyak wrote:
Glenn Bartley wrote:

Great thoughts Jan.

G
Tech rep at B&H reports the R5 in APS-C mode is 17MP. Don't know if it's zoomed in our grayed out.

The DSLR era cameras did the greying out in crop mode. There is no reason for that with mirrorless that I know of, with Sony mirrorless it displays the zoomed in when in crop mode.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You take the total pixel count and divide by 1.6 twice on a Canon camera (1.5 for every other manufacturer).  So in this case it would be 44,761088/1.6/1.6 = 17.5 megapixels

by Glenn Bartley on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:42 pm
Glenn Bartley
Forum Contributor
Nice one EJ. Thanks for that!

103 posts |