« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:24 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Hi
This looks like an interesting product. Does anyone have experience with it?
It’s on sale right now. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1370876-REG/gitzo_ghfg1_fluid_gimbal_head.html

Thanks!

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:31 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I haven’t heard of any actual users yet. I posted about it a long time ago here. My experience with Gitzo Systematic fluid ball heads is very positive, but I bet this head is excellent as well. The sale price is excellent!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Swissblad on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:22 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
There are a view reviews on YouTube - one by Tom Mason - who really likes it.
Seems like a nice bit of kit.

by Phil Shaw on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:17 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I can highly recommend it. I've been using it exclusively for the last 18months.
I also own the RRS fluid gimbal head and and the Gitzo is just better and much, much, lighter.
I still have my Wimberley Mk 1 and Mk 2 heads as well.
I have also tried the Benro head in the past at a trade show, but it didn't really offer anything if you already own the Wimberley Mk2.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by gknorman on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:55 pm
gknorman
Forum Contributor
Phil Shaw wrote:I can highly recommend it. I've been using it exclusively for the last 18months.
I also own the RRS fluid gimbal head and and the Gitzo is just better and much, much, lighter.
I still have my Wimberley Mk 1 and Mk 2 heads as well.
I have also tried the Benro head in the past at a trade show, but it didn't really offer anything if you already own the Wimberley Mk2.
Phil: It appears that the Gitzo fluid gimbal has no controls for modifying the degree of resistance for pan or tilt - is that right?

Can you be a bit more specific on why (other than weight) you prefer the Gitzo over the RRS luid gimbal?

Thanks

by Phil Shaw on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:35 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
The "resistance" is +/- proportional to the tension applied with the panning and tilt adjustment knobs, so no matter what lens you are using, you can quickly find the "right" resistance for both pan and tilt. I liked the the RRS head and used it for 2 or 3 years until I tried the Gitzo head, but the RRS head was just a bit too fiddley with the two button system and much heavier for travel.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

6 posts |