« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
From Sigma:

Sigma Announcement

https://fstoppers.com/gear/sigma-announces-100-400mm-f5-63-compact-telephoto-zoom-sony-and-l-mount-cameras-493699

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
About half price of the Sony and 1/3 stop slower. It's gotta do some very heavy lifting to get even in the same universe as the Sony though which blows away all other lenses in the category from any manufacturer by a huge amount.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:00 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
There seems to be a "creep" in terms of maximum f-stop of lenses lately. They seem to be getting a bit slower all around.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:There seems to be a "creep" in terms of maximum f-stop of lenses lately. They seem to be getting a bit slower all around.
...yeah, and 7.1 is next.  Canon has already announced a 100-500 f/7.1 RF lens.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:There seems to be a "creep" in terms of maximum f-stop of lenses lately. They seem to be getting a bit slower all around.
And possibly a 600 f11 and 800 f11.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:39 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
And possibly a 600 f11 and 800 f11.

Joe
Those two lenses seem crazy to me. 
But who knows. 

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I have to believe those f/11 lens patents are just to patent some technology. Realize that only about 1 in 10 photo related patents that Canon files are ever productized. Many are just to patent a certain technology.

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:01 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I have to believe those f/11 lens patents are just to patent some technology.  Realize that only about 1 in 10 photo related patents that Canon files are ever productized.  Many are just to patent a certain technology.

Could it be just for using diffractive optics in lenses of those focal lengths, or would it be related to motors or some such thing? I would think a full line of super telephotos in DO versions would be fantastic. I'm hoping Sony does the DO/PF type lenses at some point.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I have to believe those f/11 lens patents are just to patent some technology.  Realize that only about 1 in 10 photo related patents that Canon files are ever productized.  Many are just to patent a certain technology.
Could it be just for using diffractive optics in lenses of those focal lengths, or would it be related to motors or some such thing? I would think a full line of super telephotos in DO versions would be fantastic. I'm hoping Sony does the DO/PF type lenses at some point.
Yeah possible - it's interesting that the Canon DO and Nikon PF lenses have no duplicates in one another's line so it may be a patent thing.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:06 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

To be honest, these are a rumor, but lately the leaks have been pretty accurate. F11 is pretty useless at those focal lengths for wildlife IMO, due to the DOF being way too much to isolate most subjects. Maybe with a fast shutter speed they could be a BIF lens because of the BG being far away and focus would not have to be quite as accurate to include the bird in the extra DOF.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/canon-eos-r5-r6-and-6-rf-lenses-be-announced-july-9th-494463

Joe

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:31 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:

To be honest, these are a rumor, but lately the leaks have been pretty accurate. F11 is pretty useless at those focal lengths for wildlife IMO, due to the DOF being way too much to isolate most subjects. Maybe with a fast shutter speed they could be a BIF lens because of the BG being far away and focus would not have to be quite as accurate to include the bird in the extra DOF.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/canon-eos-r5-r6-and-6-rf-lenses-be-announced-july-9th-494463

Joe

I noticed in that image, center back, what could be the 600/800 f11 so maybe it's real. Personally, I could see an 800f8 or a 600f5.6 being good sellers, but f11? Maybe they are budget-friendly?

by Larry Shuman on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:39 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Wouldn't a 600mm F11 or a 800mmF11 be a mirror lens. I have a Nikkor 1000mmF11 lens and its manual focus.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:49 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:Wouldn't a 600mm F11 or a 800mmF11 be a mirror lens. I have a Nikkor 1000mmF11 lens and its manual focus.
If the pictures are a true representation, they are definitely not mirror lenses, judging by the length. Mirror lenses are pretty much historic anymore.

Joe

13 posts |