« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:36 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
https://www.dpreview.com/news/0261142298/lensrental-discovers-cracked-sensor-mounts-inside-some-of-its-sony-a7-series-rental-fleet

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I read that article and I am wondering how much of this is due to people cleaning the sensor without first locking the IBIS.  One should never clean a Sony camera sensor that has IBIS without first going into the menu and selecting the sensor clean option which will shake the sensor and then lock it.  If you don't do that before physically contacting the sensor, there is a good chance of damaging the sensor to IBIS mount.  This is documented by Sony but it seems virtually nobody reads instructions anymore.

by signgrap on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:04 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
E.J. Peiker wrote:I read that article and I am wondering how much of this is due to people cleaning the sensor without first locking the IBIS.  One should never clean a Sony camera sensor that has IBIS without first going into the menu and selecting the sensor clean option which will shake the sensor and then lock it.  If you don't do that before physically contacting the sensor, there is a good chance of damaging the sensor to IBIS mount.  This is documented by Sony but it seems virtually nobody reads instructions anymore.
Improper sensor cleaning was also the first thing I thought of.  I agree on both points you make.
Dick Ludwig

3 posts |