Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Mark L on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:29 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I am considering a sling bag for local/day trip use (I use a Mindshift Backlight 26L for long trips/the full kit).  Having never used a sling bag I am in the dark.  The Thinktank Urban Access bags seem very desirable since you can sling them on either shoulder.  Can anyone comment on the importance of being able to switch shoulders?  Unfortunately no camera store anywhere near me stocks the Urban Access sling bags so I have no way to see them.  I use a Sony A7R IV, 24-105 G, 16-35 GM, 77 and 82 mm filters. 

Comparison of the Mindshift Turnstyle slings and the Thinktank Urban Access slings would be appreciated.  

Furthermore, does anyone have experience with the Urban Access slings to give me an idea about the two sizes.  Based upon pictures on the web it looks like the smaller bag (the eight) would hold my camera and a few lenses.  It is not clear to me how well it would also accomodate a few filters and cleaning supplies? 

Thanks for any input anyone can provide,
Mark

by balazs on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 am
balazs
Forum Contributor
Hi Mark!
I have the Turnstyle, not sure which size, must be some medium-sized. It can accommodate my small Fuji setup. I don't think you can switch shoulders. Besides, the sling concept did not work for me, the whole bag seems to be bunched up somewhere uncomfortable when i am shooting. It is OK. to carry stuff. Filter carry is a question of the size, in mine, i put the filters in the sleeve for the 8" tablet, which i don't own. The phone comes here as well. I hope this help a bit.

by Mark L on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:03 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the input.  From your experience, and other inputs I've received, sling bags are not always comfortable.  I'll just have to try one and see what I think.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:36 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I know you asked specifically about sling bags, but have you considered something like the Lowepro Flipside series? They flip to the front for easy access without taking them off your back and are available in different sizes. I have the 200, 300 and 400 series. The smaller two offer access as demonstrated here under “Explore Flipside 300”:

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/flipside- ... 37127-pww/

When they are on your back, they cannot be accessed by thieves because the zippered side is against your back, if that is of any importance to you.

Some people like Lowepro and others don’t, but I like them.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mark L on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:51 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I will check them out.  The backpack I use is a Mindshift Backlight so I am well aware of, and happy with rear access to the contents.

5 posts |