Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:16 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I am asking for a fellow photographer.  She likes my Think Tank Glass Limo for its compactness.  Looking for airline friendly size.

Canon 400 2.8L IS III
Canon 5D MK4
1.4x 
Tripod

Looking at:
Think Tank Glass Limo (tripod can fit on one side of bag - one leg can go into side pocket)

Alta Sky 66 by Vanguard (it has a fold-out sleeve/foot to place the feet of the tripod then secured by straps, so all of the weight of the tripod sits on the sleeve. However that bag is twice the weight of the Think Tank.)

Any other recommendations?

by Mark L on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:10 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I use a Mindshift Backlight and really like it. The Mindshift/Think Tank products are really well designed and well made. Personally, I very much like the rear opening of the Mindshift series of bags. I don't think that you can go wrong with products from this company; the choice is really based upon the size and configuration that works for each individual. It sounds like your friend could get by with the 18L Backlight.

Many of the Mindshift/Think Tank products are again on sale for 20% off.

Good luck

by roicead on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:44 pm
roicead
Forum Contributor
i use a military backpack and wrap all of my gear in lens wraps or padded cases. military backpacks have the molle strap system so i can add another compartment for longer trips and/or strap a tripod on the front, side or bottom.

by OntPhoto on Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:15 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mark L wrote:I use a Mindshift Backlight and really like it.  The Mindshift/Think Tank products are really well designed and well made.  Personally, I very much like the rear opening of the Mindshift series of bags.  I don't think that you can go wrong with products from this company; the choice is really based upon the size and configuration that works for each individual.  It sounds like your friend could get by with the 18L Backlight.  

Many of the Mindshift/Think Tank products are again on sale for 20% off.

Good luck
Would the interior of this bag fit a 400 2.8L lens and 1.4x with the camera attached (5D MK4) and hood reversed?  It seems to say max length is for a 150-600 lens. 

by Mark L on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:07 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
The interior length of my 26L Mindshift Backlight is 18" from top to bottom (that is what I just measured without pushing things; the specified interior length is 19.29").  I don't know what length you require for the lens mounted on the camera.  The 18L is shorter (specified interior length is 16.73").  I do not own a long lens at this time.  I just looked on the B&H website and the Canon 400mm 2.8 is specified to be 13.5" long; presumably the length would fit easily in the 18" length of the 26L and might even fit into the 18L, however I'm not sure that the packs are deep enough for the lens (specified to be 6.4" in diameter which would probably be too big for either ther 26L or the 18L.  

I am happy to make any measurement that could help you out.

by OntPhoto on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:52 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Think Tank recommends the Glass Limo for the setup.  18L Mindshift is too small for 400 2.8L, camera and 1.4x.  She has decided to go for the Glass Limo.  I personally like it for the 500 f4, camera and 1.4x.  Will even fit a 2x but will be tight. 

6 posts |