Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:31 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Ed Okie wrote:Focus ring movement - what is the factory-spec to look for (with any brand) that reveals the amount "spin" required when doing focus-layer shooting? It seems to be proprietary information with every mfg. (along with "does a lens extend outward, or maintains the same length?")

To wit: I use a Canon 180mm macro and mount convertor to a Sony a7RIII. The ring movement frame -to- frame for focus-layer images is annoyingly - tiny - approximately 1/32" inch. Net result: difficult to maintain uniform focus spacing.

Frankly, I prefer using the Zeiss Batis 85mm or 135mm with a mount spacer. It's focus-ring movement (in manual mode) is a delight to use, approximately 3/8" frame-to-frame, relatively easy to maintain consistent spacing.
Have you ever considered using something like this, assuming your talking about macro?

https://petapixel.com/2020/06/17/nisi-unveils-its-first-macro-focusing-rail-for-precise-focus-stacking/

Read the first comment and reply, because I’m not sure if it would affect anything.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by ChrisRoss on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:01 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Ed Okie wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:My favorite macro lens for Sony FE is the Voigtlander - it's a little longer in focal length so a bit more working distance and absolutely superb IQ.
Focus ring movement - what is the factory-spec to look for (with any brand) that reveals the amount "spin" required when doing focus-layer shooting? It seems to be proprietary information with every mfg. (along with "does a lens extend outward, or maintains the same length?")

To wit: I use a Canon 180mm macro and mount convertor to a Sony a7RIII. The ring movement frame -to- frame for focus-layer images is annoyingly - tiny - approximately 1/32" inch. Net result: difficult to maintain uniform focus spacing.

Frankly, I prefer using the Zeiss Batis 85mm or 135mm with a mount spacer. It's focus-ring movement (in manual mode) is a delight to use, approximately 3/8" frame-to-frame, relatively easy to maintain consistent spacing.
I think it is not so much a state secret, rather it didn't occur to the designer that someone may wish to know this.  The Canon they probably thought everyone would use AF.  MF focus lens will generally have a longer throw, but not always some AF lenses have very long throws: the little Olympus 60mm macro I use underwater has such a long throw that using it underwater in a housing is impractical due to the gearing of the focusing gear it takes about 3 turns to move 1mm in focus point.

I tend to prefer a geared focus rail to move between shots. I have the novoflex one and it's about 1/8 turn/mm.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

22 posts |