« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Bob J on Sun May 03, 2020 12:13 pm
Bob J
Forum Contributor
I bought a Canon 1DX Mark III recently to replace my 1DX (first version) and ask for suggestions on camera settings to photograph birds in flight. I take photos as a hobby. I have not been able to use the 1DX Mark III much due to Covid-19, having only taken photos in my house and yard and in the park. That's been frustrating. I photograph a lot more than birds in flight but am interested here in advice on camera settings specific to the 1DX Mark III for photographing birds in flight.

Most of the birds in flight I photograph are either flying horizontally, taking off, landing or hovering. The birds vary in size from relatively small (like a sparrow) to larger (like a crane or heron). The distance can be relatively close to quite far away. I have two long lenses, 500mm and 800mm.

The settings I have been using on the 1DX (first version) to photograph birds in flight are,

RAW
AI Servo, high
Manual mode
AF with eight-point expansion
AF Case No 1 (tracking sensitivity - no adjustment; accel/decel - no adjustment)
Bracketing - off
Viewfinder (not live view)

My thought is to use these same settings on the 1DX Mark III, although these are thoughts that have occurred to me about alternatives.

To photograph birds in flight should I use Zone AF or Large Zone AF (horizontal or vertical depending on the movement of the bird) or in the opposite direction AF with four-point expansion, instead of AF with eight-point expansion? I have been using AF with eight pt expansion instead of an AF zone thinking I have a better chance of getting the eye in focus. I have been using eight-point rather than four-point expansion thinking I have a better chance of getting a photo in sharp focus. I think I have had a high success rate getting sharp images with the eye in focus with the 1DX but maybe there are better settings.

To photograph a small bird flying fast relative to where I am standing (such as a sparrow, finch or robin) or something like a duck taking off, instead of Case No. 1 maybe I should use Case No. 4 (subjects that change speed rapidly) coupled with accel/decel no +2 (to handle greater changes in speed) and maybe also Zone AF.

I have not shot with live view. Is there a reason to use live view for photographing birds in flight? It seems like 16 fps using the viewfinder is ample and I am not aware of any other reason (except 20 fps) to use live view. I'm not accustomed to using live view.

Are there other settings I should use?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 04, 2020 12:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I haven't used a 1Dx III but Zone AF on every camera system on the market goes after the closest thing in the zone so on a BIF it will tend to focus on the near wingtip which could be a problem as the bird gets larger or closer to you.

by bryantjl on Mon May 04, 2020 2:52 pm
bryantjl
Forum Contributor
Bob. Have sent you a private message regarding your question.

John Bryant

by meayrs on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:59 am
meayrs
Forum Contributor
Bob J wrote:I bought a Canon 1DX Mark III recently to replace my 1DX (first version) and ask for suggestions on camera settings to photograph birds in flight. I take photos as a hobby. I have not been able to use the 1DX Mark III much due to Covid-19, having only taken photos in my house and yard and in the park. That's been frustrating. I photograph a lot more than birds in flight but am interested here in advice on camera settings specific to the 1DX Mark III for photographing birds in flight.

Most of the birds in flight I photograph are either flying horizontally, taking off, landing or hovering. The birds vary in size from relatively small (like a sparrow) to larger (like a crane or heron). The distance can be relatively close to quite far away. I have two long lenses, 500mm and 800mm.

The settings I have been using on the 1DX (first version) to photograph birds in flight are,

RAW
AI Servo, high
Manual mode
AF Case No 1 (tracking sensitivity - no adjustment; accel/decel - no adjustment)
Bracketing - off

My thought is to use these same settings on the 1DX Mark III, although these are thoughts that have occurred to me about alternatives.

To photograph birds in flight should I use Zone AF or Large Zone AF (horizontal or vertical depending on the movement of the bird) or in the opposite direction AF with four-point expansion, instead of AF with eight-point expansion? I have been using AF with eight pt expansion instead of an AF zone thinking I have a better chance of getting the eye in focus. I have been using eight-point rather than four-point expansion thinking I have a better chance of getting a photo in sharp focus. I think I have had a high success rate getting sharp images with the eye in focus with the 1DX but maybe there are better settings.

To photograph a small bird flying fast relative to where I am standing (such as a sparrow, finch or robin) or something like a duck taking off, instead of Case No. 1 maybe I should use Case No. 4 (subjects that change speed rapidly) coupled with accel/decel no +2 (to handle greater changes in speed) and maybe also Zone AF.

I have not shot with live view. Is there a reason to use live view for photographing birds in flight? It seems like 16 fps using the viewfinder is ample and I am not aware of any other reason (except 20 fps) to use live view. I'm not accustomed to using live view.

Thank you.
Bob

Greetings from Manchester, UK. Just seen this post. 

I took delivery of my 1DX Mk3 a couple of days ago and have been studying the settings, mainly AF. I'm a new user to the 1DX Mk3 but a longtime user of the 7D and 7D-Mark-II. Over the years I've customised my birding settings on those cameras and so far, owing to the crop factor, the 7D Mkii has been my birding camera of choice. I use it with a Canon 400mm prime and occasionally with extenders and have had good results. I have yet to see whether I shall prefer the 1DX Mk3 for birding.

In my kind of bird photography (and I am strictly an amateur)  birds in flight can either fly in a straight and predictable line (think ducks), ride the air currents (think raptors) or just fly totally unpredictably (think swifts and swallows)? I need to be able to respond to these different situations quickly, and Canon Case settings are a great help in making a snap adjustment.

I see that you were making the same enquiries a few months ago, and am wondering whether you have come to any conclusions about best settings for bird photography (AF and other). If you have and you are able to share your thoughts it would be very much appreciated. I cannot simply ‘import’ my 7d settings as the 1DX only has four programmable cases (and one automatic) where the 7Ds have six. And the 1DX Mk3 has so many other refinements that I have to rethink my entire AF and metering strategy.

by Steve Cirone on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:16 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Hi Bob, I am a big fan of photographing birds in flight.  Been at it about 25 years.  We have similar gear.  Been using the Canon 1D series in many versions.  I sold my 500 and replaced it with the 800mm f5.6. 

My default is Manual Exposure mode: F 5.6, ISO 800, and around 1/3200th second depending on the light.  I use center point only focus point and aim for the bird's head so as to not get the near wing.  High speed drive, AI Servo.  I also rapidly move my finger up and down on the shutter button to refocus in the event the AF locks on slightly off.  I fiddle with the cases as per the shooting situation.  Usually close to default.

That said, I rarely use my 800mm for flight.  Normally I use the 100-400 II.  Hope this helps.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Wildlifefocused on Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:01 am
Wildlifefocused
Forum Contributor
Bob J wrote:I bought a Canon 1DX Mark III recently to replace my 1DX (first version) and ask for suggestions on camera settings to photograph birds in flight. I take photos as a hobby. I have not been able to use the 1DX Mark III much due to Covid-19, having only taken photos in my house and yard and in the park. That's been frustrating. I photograph a lot more than birds in flight but am interested here in advice on camera settings specific to the 1DX Mark III for photographing birds in flight.

RAW
AI Servo, high
Manual mode
Bracketing - off

Thank you.

Good morning Bob, don’t over think it, taking pictures of birds in flight especially small birds tales patience and practice, you have got what is probably the best camera for the job capable of far mare than taking a few pictures in your back yard! You don’t say what lens you are using? Are you hand holding or on a tripod or monopod? Or what your shutter speed and aperture are? Re your settings you firstly should customise your buttons to “back button focus” and use the AF button on the back of the camera for focusing, and set your shutter button for AE lock, there are plenty of videos on YouTube. That way you keep your thumb preesed on the AF all the time you are tracking the bird! You should also enable the “smart controller” to move the focus points? That way as you are focusing with your thumb you can also move the focus point! Both these chances do take a bit of getting used to but are far better in the long run. For small birds taking off you are better with your camera on a tripod pre focusing on a point where you know the bird is going to be in manual focus, and firming the camera when the bird arrives or leaves. The number of focus points you use 
Just improves you sucess rate and really depends on your skill level in keeping the focus point on the bird and in general terms but you lose some accuracy I.e. it could lock on to a wing tip rather than an eye , zone focusing the camera takes control but it will focus on what it thinks you want to focus on. For small birds you need a high shutter speed probably no less than 1/1600 up to 1/3500 depending on the bird, it’s flight path and available light, you don’t say what aperture you are using, I would normally shoot wide open f2.8 or f4 depending on lens. I use either case 2 or case 4 depending on conditions, Auto is supposed to be good but I have never used it. You have the best camera for the job but it can’t compensate for your skill level, photographing birds in flight especially small birds is difficult and requires good basic techniques and practice your sucess rate will alway be quite low. I hope that helps

by Wildlifefocused on Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:30 am
Wildlifefocused
Forum Contributor
Steve Cirone wrote:Hi Bob, I am a big fan of photographing birds in flight.  Been at it about 25 years.  We have similar gear.  Been using the Canon 1D series in many versions.  I sold my 500 and replaced it with the 800mm f5.6. 

My default is Manual Exposure mode: F 5.6, ISO 800, and around 1/3200th second depending on the light.  I use center point only focus point and aim for the bird's head so as to not get the near wing.  High speed drive, AI Servo.  I also rapidly move my finger up and down on the shutter button to refocus in the event the AF locks on slightly off.  I fiddle with the cases as per the shooting situation.  Usually close to default.

That said, I rarely use my 800mm for flight.  Normally I use the 100-400 II.  Hope this helps.

Hi Steve, likewise re 1DX agree with your comments, i find that back button focusing is far better it means you do not have “rapidly move your finger” you have to customise both the shutter button and the AF On buttons and it takes a little getting used to, but there is absolutely no way I would go back to using the shutter button for focus. I also configure the set button to exposure compensation. Likewise I change cases depending on situations I haven’t used auto yet? Fundamentally I am in manual with auto ISO which on the mk iii is brilliant. I usually use eith single spot or 4 expanded focus points. I experimented with the full zone last week and I have to admit I was really impressed. You should try back button you won’t go back

Best wishes 

David

7 posts |