Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:59 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Last August I ran into some serious headwind when medical bills forced me to sell all my photo gear to keep the collectors away. Well, I cheated a little and kept the a7rII, along with my favorite lens, the Zeiss 135/2 APO Sonnar. Something that seems like a handicap - only one lens, fixed focal length - but actually turned out to be a blessing because I really got to know that lens.

Therefore I decided that now, as I can replace my equipment again, I want to keep it down to only three or four prime lenses and a second camera. And I want to start with getting that second camera first.

I am very happy with what the a7rII gives me, so just buying another one of those should suffice, particularly since I will have manual focus primes only, so I don't need many - if any - of the technological advances later models offer. But I am sure there are things that I don't know about, so I am asking the community if there are features in the currently available III and IV versions of this camera that may be beneficial with the lenses I intend to use.

Any information regarding this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
One of the biggest things in both of those cameras is the much bigger battery that lasts 600-1000 shots rather than 200-300 shots. Ergo is better on both as well but the a7R4 takes it to the next level where the a7R3 is just a minor upgrade in ergo. The a7R3 uses a BSI sensor so noise is a bit better despite being the same resolution and of course the a7R4 goes up to 61mp. If you shoot much in APS-C mode or crop a lot then the R4 gives you a lot more flexibility. The EVF in the R4 is also dramatically better. Of course there's the AF performance which is much better on the 3 compared to the 2 and the 4 takes it to a whole new level but then with manual primes, that doesn't really matter.

Of you wish you can read my R3 cririal review here that covers the changes from the R2:
https://ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Sony%20a7R%20III.pdf

And I cover the R4 including changes from the R3 is here under the article New Cameras:
https://ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/Quack%2 ... 202019.pdf

Hope that helps in your quest for information :)

by Mark L on Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:58 pm
Mark L
Forum Contributor
I had been using an a7II that my brother loaned to me and enjoyed it. In December I moved up to the a7RIV and really love it. The ergonomics are substantially improved and the resolution allows for tremendous versatility. Although my lenses are autofocus I generally use back button focus and enlarge to tweak manually. I have never used either of the a7III cameras and can't comment on them. If you can afford the a7RIV I would be willing to bet that you will be tremendously satisfied with it.

I do find it a bit of a hassle to carry batteries for both the II and the IV, but such is life.

3 posts |