« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by Andrew_5488 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:28 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
So I was under impression that rolling shutter refers to images taken of subjects where there're some moving parts.

I'm including 2 images taken from tripod with first electronic curtain on and electronic shutter on.

Can somebody explain to me what is happening here ?
To see more clearly you'd have to download those pictures and open them in viewer which allows you to quickly
switch between them in the same window.
Problem is visible if you look at the branch.
Images are not processed in any way.
TIA

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Your settings won't let me download the images.

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Your settings won't let me download the images.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
In general for anything with motion you do not want to use electronic shutter or in Sony language, silent shooting on any camera but an a9.  The top to bottom scan time is too long.  EFC is fine.  I have set my mode 1 for landscape which uses full electronic shutter and my mode 2 for wildlife which uses EFC.

by Andrew_5488 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:23 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:In general for anything with motion you do not want to use electronic shutter or in Sony language, silent shooting on any camera but an a9.  The top to bottom scan time is too long.  EFC is fine.  I have set my mode 1 for landscape which uses full electronic shutter and my mode 2 for wildlife which uses EFC.
as you can see in pictures there's no movement of the brach. It's solid.
That's why I'm confused.
I've got pictures in similar situations (tripod, remote release) where the effect is even more weird.
Almost looking like pixel aspect ratio is changing between pictures.

So I guess my question would be is rolling shutter also affecting static subjects ?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I can't tell a difference between the two as posted, I was just commenting generically.

by DChan on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:00 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Perhaps it could help if you could simply tell us what you see that looks wrong. Maybe like you said it would help we could download the pics but as pointed out download is impossible.

by neverspook on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:In general for anything with motion you do not want to use electronic shutter or in Sony language, silent shooting on any camera but an a9.  The top to bottom scan time is too long.  EFC is fine.  I have set my mode 1 for landscape which uses full electronic shutter and my mode 2 for wildlife which uses EFC.

Is this just a Sony thing or does it apply to other cameras, including dSLRs as well?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
neverspook wrote:

Is this just a Sony thing or does it apply to other cameras, including dSLRs as well?
Any camera if you use fully electronic shutter until the day we have something called a "global shutter".  A camera with a specially designed ultra-fast readout shutter like the a9 and a9II can largely avoid this.  It can not occur if you use a normal mechanical shutter or even a first curtain electronic shutter.

by Andrew_5488 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:49 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:Perhaps it could help if you could simply tell us what you see that looks wrong. Maybe like you said it would help we could download the pics but as pointed out download is impossible.

I tried to re-upload pictures without copyright info and still can't download from this site.
How am I supposed to prepare files for upload ?

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
I see what Andrew is referring to but you have to do the comparison as he says, by jumping back and forth between the two images. It is strange, I'm wondering if it a stabilization distortion or possibly EFCS? I rarely use EFCS, but I don't believe it works properly at high shutter speeds..
It reminds of how an image looks with auto distortion enabled or disabled. It's not just the branch either.

Last edited by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by neverspook on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:17 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
neverspook wrote:

Any camera if you use fully electronic shutter until the day we have something called a "global shutter".  A camera with a specially designed ultra-fast readout shutter like the a9 and a9II can largely avoid this.  It can not occur if you use a normal mechanical shutter or even a first curtain electronic shutter.
So on the D850, is there a setting that cause this problem and if so, which one?

Also, even though I have preferences set to get notifications of responses to my posts here, I am not getting those notifications. What is the fix for that?

by signgrap on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:20 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Have you double checked that Steady Shot has been turned off when camera is on a tripod?
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
An article/video about global shutter:

https://fstoppers.com/education/what-gl ... ble-465978

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Andrew_5488 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:54 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:Have you double checked that Steady Shot has been turned off when camera is on a tripod?
It happens with stabilization off.

by Neilyb on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:48 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Did a screen grab of both and layered them in PS. Seems the 2nd image is being stretched horiozontally, even the branch, with the centre being somewhere just left of the falcon. Seeing as rolling shutter is read vertically I am not sure what is causing that.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:28 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Does it appear if you use different RAW converters?

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
neverspook wrote: So on the D850, is there a setting that cause this problem and if so, which one?
Silent mode in Live View

by neverspook on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:50 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
neverspook wrote: So on the D850, is there a setting that cause this problem and if so, which one?
Silent mode in Live View
Thanks.

And any idea why I am not getting notifications of responses to this??

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:00 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
neverspook wrote: And any idea why I am not getting notifications of responses to this??
I went through all your account settings and don't see a problem.
Make sure it isn't going to spam - that's the usual cause.
The NSN Help forum is the forum to try to get answers to that:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=274953

22 posts |