Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by rb_stern on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:18 pm
rb_stern
Forum Contributor
While birding in Costa Rica recently the auto-focus on my D500 stopped working. Initially it was intermittent, then it became permanent.  Luckily it was almost at the end of the trip. It was humid, but I was careful not to get it wet when it rained. The 300PF and 1.4 TC were attached when it happened. The issue has persisted since I got home, where it's not humid. I use back-button focusing, and all buttons and focus types have failed to work. I have tried different lenses, and reset the camera to factory settings, checked all the AF- switches on the camera and lenses, and it still won't work. When I press the shutter, the focus points turn red, as they should, but the actual focussing doesn't take place. Manual focus is fine. Other than sending the camera in for repair is there anything else I can do to fix this? Thanks - Richard
Richard Stern
Nova Scotia, Canada
richard-s.smugmug.com

by KK Hui on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:07 pm
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Since you've tried mounting different lenses to no avail  I'd suggest you examine the contact points on the lens mount and clean them carefully. Use Q~tips with one or two drops of Isopropyl Alcohol.
Good luck!
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If you do try cleaning the contacts, you might want to read this thread first, especially regarding which alcohol to use:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=286856

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by photoman4343 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:53 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
You have done most of what I would have done to try and fix the problem. Here are two more things to try: Install a fresh/new charged battery. Maybe the battery is contributing to the problem. Buy a large bag of desiccant and place the camera and the desiccant in a closed container like a small suitcase or briefcase for 24 hours or longer Maybe something needs to be dried out. I had to do the latter to get my laptop to work when I got back from Costa Rica. .
Joe Smith

4 posts |