Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:31 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I have several lenses that will not take standard filters.  A few will accept gels but that seems a difficult way to go.  11-24 canon, 14mm sigma, 15-30 tamron 17mm t/s canon.  It looks like I'm into 150mm squares.  Need ND and polarizer.  Looking for recommendations based on experience.  I've gone to BH site and there are multiple manufacturers.

Breakthrough seems to be the choice for the ND.  Polarizer??

With 6 stop nd and polarizer, may not be able to see to focus and compose.  Magnetic attachment a plus.

Thoughts??

by AForns on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:38 am
AForns
Lifetime Member
Member #:00233
Would check on the filter holder first, that might determine what system you will be using.

If possible go with any system that has glass filters, if you use them a lot will be cheaper at the end, resin will scratch when cleaned often,

Had a polarizer but did not get much use out of it. Regarding the ND .6, might be a little weak? Should get more use out of .9 or stronger. With the efficiency of new sensors, need for ND filters has been cut down in my opinion. btw remember having an adapter for the TS 17mm made by Lee, worked well.

My current filter system is a NISI.
Alfred Forns
NSN 0233

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I'm a big fan of the Breakthrough filters due to their lack of color cast as the density of the filter or filter stack get higher. the holder itself will be a 150mm holder for this lens and you can choose among manufacturers, they all will take the filters from other manufacturers.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:22 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I'm a big fan of the Breakthrough filters due to their lack of color cast as the density of the filter or filter stack get higher.  the holder itself will be a 150mm holder for this lens and you can choose among manufacturers, they all will take the filters from other manufacturers.

Probably get Breakthrough ND filters.  Polarizer seems more of a question. 
I'd like to find a filter holder that does not require removal of the lens to mount.  Anyone have any thoughts? thoughts?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Wildflower-nut wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I'm a big fan of the Breakthrough filters due to their lack of color cast as the density of the filter or filter stack get higher.  the holder itself will be a 150mm holder for this lens and you can choose among manufacturers, they all will take the filters from other manufacturers.

I'd like to find a filter holder that does not require removal of the lens to mount.  Anyone have any thoughts? thoughts?
Wine Country but it's expensive.  There are others that have a CPL that can be made part of the filter holder.

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:50 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:

Wine Country but it's expensive.  There are others that have a CPL that can be made part of the filter holder.

You are right.  It is expensive.  Are you talking about the filter, the holder or the set.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Any or all. you were looking for something with a C-PL where you don't have to mount and dismount the whole system... there are others though. It's just the one that comes to mind because it is the best on the market. But I'm sure if you look around you will find others. As stated, just about any 150mm filter will fit just about any 150mm holder so you can mix and match to get exactly something that works for you.

by Professional on Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:38 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
You have a nice cocktail of lenses at wide angle side, i have something similar too, Canon 17/24 TS, Samyang 14mm, Tamron 15-30 which i never used yet and not sure if i should or sell it as brand new and look for something from Canon/Nikon instead, and Hasselblad 28mm lens.

I do have 100mm and 150mm system, but i am trying hard to make it as one system, i couldn't sell my 100mm system since years, sounds no body nowadays are interested in anything used or old models even if there aren't any replacement or upgrading, so i feel i can't or i don't want to buy more filters until i sell my 100mm first, heck i even still have Cokin P-series filters and Hitech 100mm filters and i even have LEE filters.

I have Haida filters because cheaper, didn't have issues with colors really, still thinking about CPL to add to the collection, but first have to sell filters, and not sure which size of CPL i will buy then or which brand, to me i feel they are all the same nowadays, so i won't worry about which brand, but i will worry about which size only so i don't need to replace/sell it later if it wasn't the right one.
Tareq Alhamrani

by gknorman on Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:05 pm
gknorman
Forum Contributor
I've been very happy with the Nisi 150x100 ND and CPL filters and their dedicated holders for Sony 12-24mm and Rokinon 14mm.  Nisi's S5 holder accommodates CPL and up to 2 ND/GND filters with easy mechanism for rotating the CPL.  They do offer 2 different CPLs - one that is just a polarizer, and another "Landscape CPL" that intensifies colors and polarizes.  The S5 holder is easy to attached and use, filters are glass and very neutral, and their offer carrying cases that are very nice. The separately sell various mounting plates for different wide-angle primes and zooms (see B&H for selection).

9 posts |