Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Price drops to $6,000 CAD.  Just drop a bit more, say down to $5,000 CAD and I may buy one.  I'll keep the camera for 7+ years like my old 40D (6 years or so). 

https://www.henrys.com/92400-CANON-EOS-1DX-MARK-II-BODY.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgt-ah62v5wIVyp6zCh1Ggg_FEAQYASABEgLGefD_BwE

How long do these clearance type sales go on for?  I know, until stock depleted but usually how long, couple of months, many months? 

BTW, how does the 1DX 2 compare for high-ISO noise with other cameras in its class (Nikon, Sony, etc.)?

by Professional on Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:51 am
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
Sometimes i wish if i returned back to a job or i didn't left one anyway, but now i have to keep suffering for years and years watching more new models out and i can't buy one and i still hold on my old models, even i can't sell some of my old cameras to get at least one, so now i just watch models coming and models discontinued and models get reduced prices and i do nothing.
Tareq Alhamrani

by DChan on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:29 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Professional wrote:Sometimes i wish if i returned back to a job or i didn't left one anyway, but now i have to keep suffering for years and years watching more new models out and i can't buy one and i still hold on my old models, even i can't sell some of my old cameras to get at least one, so now i just watch models coming and models discontinued and models get reduced prices and i do nothing.
Have you noticed the quality of your photographs going downhill year after year then??

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:49 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
DChan wrote:
Professional wrote:Sometimes i wish if i returned back to a job or i didn't left one anyway, but now i have to keep suffering for years and years watching more new models out and i can't buy one and i still hold on my old models, even i can't sell some of my old cameras to get at least one, so now i just watch models coming and models discontinued and models get reduced prices and i do nothing.
Have you noticed the quality of your photographs going downhill year after year then??

You bring up a point that the camera manufacturers would rather you didn't. lol

by OntPhoto on Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:24 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I got off the upgrade bandwagon many years ago.  Saved me from wasting a lot of money on something I didn't really need.  Many eventually realize you don't need the latest or greatest to get great photos.  The more important thng is know how to use the camera you have.  And to find your subject.  In my case, that would be owls.  And I get to see my share of them  :)  

Great Gray Owl in Ottawa photographed March 5, 2020.

I had the Canon 40D for close to 6+ years.  My 7D MK2 is coming up on 5 1/2 years and still working fine.  I purchased the original Canon 6D for $1,000 CAD.  A very good deal considering how much the camera was going for when it was first released a number of years ago.  

Last edited by OntPhoto on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Craig Browne on Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:05 pm
Craig Browne
Forum Contributor
I came across a Canon 1DX MK1 the other day for 2500$ here in Montreal.
Would you consider this or is the mk2 that much better?

by Karl Egressy on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:05 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
My boss, the head of the Engineering Department back in Hungary would tell us; if you find the cost scary, break it down to days or even hours.
In your case Wilson, if yo spent $2000 on your 7D II and will sell it say for $ 600, then your daily cost would be $ 0.77. It won't even buy a coffee for you.
Or consider it as a rental fee.
I wish I had had the good equipment when I had the strength, health and the many birds around. Now I have none.

by DChan on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:My boss, the head of the Engineering Department back in Hungary would tell us; if you find the cost scary, break it down to days or even hours.
In your case Wilson, if yo spent $2000 on your 7D II and will sell it say for $ 600, then your daily cost would be $ 0.77. It won't even buy a coffee for you.
Or consider it as a rental fee. [snip]
Exactly the trick sale-persons use to get their prospects to buy something by installments, financing or leasing. If one is smart one should look at the total sum (usually interest included) he/she ends up paying.

by OntPhoto on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:05 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Craig Browne wrote:I came across a Canon 1DX MK1 the other day for 2500$  here in Montreal.
Would you consider this or is the mk2 that much better?
I would go for the MK2.  Thanks.  

by OntPhoto on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:22 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Karl Egressy wrote:My boss, the head of the Engineering Department back in Hungary would tell us; if you find the cost scary, break it down to days or even hours.
Or consider it as a rental fee.
I wish I had had the good equipment when I had the strength, health and the many birds around. Now I have none.
I have used that thinking in the past of extrapolating the cost of the product over the life of ownership.  It's how I justified buying a Callaway driver, the Great Big Bertha many years ago.  $500 almost two decades ago.  Would be nice if I was still golfing :)  Haven't played for 16 years except for an annual workplace outing or two.  Unlike riding a bicycle, the muscle memory is not there. 

For some items it is really worth it like the Canon 500 f4 II.  Bought it for $8,000+ CAD about 6 years ago.  Hope to keep it for another 15+ years.  It'll work out to about $400 a year.  This purchase there's no regret.  

BTW, the 7D MK2 cost me about $1500 CAD before taxes in 2014.  Worth every penny.  Money well spent. 

Karl, too bad to hear about your situation.  You mentioned your condition to me one time off-line.  Hope you still manage to get out there one way or another. 

10 posts |