Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by wdg on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:46 am
wdg
Forum Contributor
Curious if the Venus Laowa 15mm for Nikon Z would be a good choice. I thought about the 14-30 Z lens but not sure about that one for a couple of reasons. I do have F mount lenses that I use on the 850 but thinking I’d like not to use the adapter. 
Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
While it would certainly work, I think the Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art would better and it's a bit faster.  While the Laowa has very low distortion, you can already see astigmatism in an APS-C frame...  The Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 is a bit better for astigmatism than even the Sigma but it is only an f/2.8 lens.  Another option is the Irix 15mm f/2.4 which has similar astigmatism performance to the Sigma but is almost a stop slower.

by wdg on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:07 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J.
I have the the Sigma Art 14mm and love it on my 850 and can use on the Z.
I was hoping for a lens to use without the adapter.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
wdg wrote:Thanks E.J.
I have the the Sigma Art 14mm and love it on my 850 and can use on the Z.
I was hoping for a lens to use without the adapter.
Native lenses for the Z system are still few and far between and since Nikon didn't disclose the electronic interface for the Z system, it will take time for it to be reverse engineered by other companies.  My recommendation would be to sue the Sigma with an adapter until such time that a high quality fast prime native to the Z system is available.

The reason Venus Optics can put out a lens is that it really isn't a true native mount lens.  Sure it attaches but it has no electronics and therefore no EXIF data, no lens corrections, no way for RAW converters to automatically apply a lens correction profile, etc.  None of the Laowa lenses, even those for systems with a licensable mount like the Sony mount have an electronic interface.  I own a Laowa lens for Nikon and one for the Fuji Medium format system and had to build my own lens profile which must manually be applied in the raw processing every time.

4 posts |