Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:02 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
A week ago I had err messages on my 7D MK2 and had to shut it down and dismount lens to camera and remount.  Had to do this at least 5 times including taking out batteries (partially removing the battery grip tray).  Problem finally went away. 

Googled some different camera and lens contact cleaning methods.  Purchased a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol and used a few q-tips.  Dipped q-tip into alcohol, removed excess on clean paper, and then proceeded to rub the q-tip on the contacts.  One q-tip ended up with a black smudge.  There's the problem.  Some dirt ended up getting onto the contact which can happen especially when changing lenses outdoors. 

I found that my camera was able to lock onto a flying bird faster as well.  Logically this makes sense given the lens relays signals back to the camera faster (cleaner signal) when the contacts are clean. 

I am wondering what you use to clean your camera and lens contacts?  And what do you think about 99% (not the 71% stuff) isopropyl alcohol?  

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You did exactly what I would recommend.

by peter makuch on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:28 pm
peter makuch
Forum Contributor
Member #:02075
the old school of thought, use a pencil like a HB2 did you know of that in the pass if the contact was poor we would use the led from the pencil and that would be the best and safest thing to work 99.5 per cent of the time, could be used on the lens contact and camera body as-well.

PETER MAKUCH

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:30 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Good that you used the purer alcohol. Rubbing alcohol contains water and, sometimes, oil. Some people don’t know that.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by aolander on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:27 am
aolander
Forum Contributor
DeoxIT Gold Contact Conditioner is a good product.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by OntPhoto on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:56 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Good that you used the purer alcohol. Rubbing alcohol contains water and, sometimes, oil. Some people don’t know that.

Joe
The 99% also evaporates quicker but I still try and dab any extra liquid off the q-tip before applying to contacts.  Here is an article comparing 70% to 99% isopropyl alcohol.  According to the article below, if you want to use isopropol alcohol as a disinfectant on your skin, 70% is better than 99% because the 70% has more water content which is needed as a catalyst to denature the proteins of cell membranes.  99% is betetr for cleaning of electronics (less water and therefore evaporates quicker).

https://labproinc.com/blog/chemicals-and-solvents-9/post/the-difference-between-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-99-and-70-25

Previous to cleaning the contacts, I had some concerns about the 7D MK2 ai-servo locking onto a fast moving subject.  I attributed it to user error but dirty contacts can also play a part.  Two days ago, I swung my camera quickly to catch a northern hawk owl flying by and was surprised how quickly the owl snapped into focus.  How much the clean contacts played, I'm not sure. 

by bradmangas on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:13 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
I have made a living as an electronic tech for over 30 years now. I have cleaned more contacts on circuit boards, plug in modules, plug in circuit boards than I could ever count. One age old technique that have always use and use to this day is to simply clean contacts with an eraser. A simply eraser on the end of pencil works greats. Cleans and shines contacts up like new.

by Jeff Colburn on Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

If you have gold contacts on your lens or camera, don't use a pencil eraser. According to Canon, it can rub off the thin layer of gold on the contacts. I do use a pencil eraser sometimes on silver colored contacts, and they are pretty indestructible.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by bradmangas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:24 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
Jeff Colburn wrote:Hi,

If you have gold contacts on your lens or camera, don't use a pencil eraser. According to Canon, it can rub off the thin layer of gold on the contacts. I do use a pencil eraser sometimes on silver colored contacts, and they are pretty indestructible.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Hi Jeff, could you direct me to where Canon distinguishes between cleaning gold and silver contacts? Thanks.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:28 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
There are a few things to know about erasers. Some contain vegetable oil, pumice, sulfur, etc. Gold contacts are plated with gold for a reason. Gold does not oxidize. All they need is cleaning of the oily film that may develop. Here is a link to how erasers are made. Why put an oily substance on a surface you are trying to clean oils off of?

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Eraser.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:49 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

They don't distinguish between the two, they just say that their contacts are gold plated, and that erasers can damage/remove the gold plating. 

The silver contacts I'm referring to are on my other photography equipment (flash units, lightning detectors, springs in battery compartments, etc.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

11 posts |