All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Rocky Sharwell on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:00 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
Wondering if anyone has experience with this backpack-not for birds but with 2 bodies and probably 4-5 lenses. Is it comfortable to hike with for a few miles?
Rocky Sharwell

by Phil Shaw on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:16 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I took this backpack on a trip to Japan last year. Didn't like it. I realized at the airport that I was going to have a problem with it. The way in which it hangs on your back, in my case anyway, meant that it sat on my belt and kept pushing my pants down :(.

It rains quite a lot in Japan and this pack leaked through the zipper (closed) for the laptop compartment which sits next to your back. While I don't carry a laptop in the field, the water soaked through the empty compartment into the main (camera/lens) compartment - this was while on my back. Fortunately there are lots of good camera shops in Japan, and I bought something else.

I have now replaced this bag with a Tenba Axis bag which is altogether better for me when I'm carrying "smaller" kit. If I'm carrying a 600/f4 or my 180-400/f4 zoom, then I'm still using the Gura Gear bag.

If you do decide that the Backlight 36L is the bag for you, my advice is to make sure that you use the rain cover, even if it is just light rain or drizzle.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It is my go to backpack when I cary a large kit including a 600 f/4, for a medium size kit I use the 26L (I have two of those) and I use the 18L one for a lot of travel photography. They are my favorite backpacks by far. I have not had the problems that Phil has had.

by Rocky Sharwell on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
QThanks - I managed to find a used one so I should have it next week. I am convinced the only way to know for sure is to try it. I have been using a think tank belt and pouch system combines with a real daypack/hydration bladder which I liked but takes too much travel space
Rocky Sharwell

by Biff on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:45 am
Biff
Forum Contributor
Hi Rocky - I don't have the 36L version, but I recently bought the "Mindshift Backlight Elite 45L Photo Daypack". I really like it. I didn't use it under rain conditions but with lots of snow in the Alps/Switzerland. Thanks to Phil for his warnings regarding rain... then I'll use the rain cover.
It's now my biggest photo backpack and I filled it for example with a 600 f4.0, 200-600 zoom of Sony, 2 bodies, lots of accessories and attached a big tripod and a bottle. Despite of the weight, carrying was really OK thanks to a good belt and the backrest cushion.

by CBoylston on Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:06 pm
CBoylston
Forum Contributor
Biff, have you flown with the Backlight Elite 45L? I am wondering if you had any issues using it as a carry on bag.

by Biff on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:48 am
Biff
Forum Contributor
CBoylston wrote:Biff, have you flown with the Backlight Elite 45L?  I am wondering if you had any issues using it as a carry on bag.
No, I didn't fly with it so far. I'm planning a trip to Scotland in March from Germany by train - so I can carry lots of equipment in the Mindshift Backlight 45L and don't need to consider weight oder size limits. But flying should also be possible with that backpack. You can easily detach the internal camera unit and take it into the plane if you don't fill it with too heavy equipment. The rest of the backpack has to be carried in a suitcase. The mind shift-ICU is nearly identical in size compared to the f-stop pro XL ICU. In my opinion the mind shift-ICU has the advantage of an additional zipper to open/close the top... which is nice for top-loading of a Camera with attached 600mm f 4.0... but with reduced protection. In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask.

by Rocky Sharwell on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:35 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
I just got back from my first trip with the new bag-love it for transporting gear but did not find it comfortable in the field. I will work with it though as I like the design. Thanks for the replies
Rocky Sharwell

8 posts |