Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
by sdaconsulting on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:17 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
I think it's going to be a very difficult proposition to move dSLR product from here on out. We are already seeing fire sales on used dSLR lens prices which are basically in free fall.

Sony went through this pain when the camera market was far healthier than it is now. This could be really brutal for Canon and Nikon over the next two years as they switch to 100% mirrorless.
Matthew Cromer

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
sdaconsulting wrote:I think it's going to be a very difficult proposition to move dSLR product from here on out. We are already seeing fire sales on used dSLR lens prices which are basically in free fall.

Sony went through this pain when the camera market was far healthier than it is now. This could be really brutal for Canon and Nikon over the next two years as they switch to 100% mirrorless.
More brutal for Nikon than Canon.  Nikon is already teetering on the edge of financial viability.  I think it's just a matter of time before they will either need a government bailout or become a subsidiary of a much bigger and much more product diverse company.  Guaranteed they won't go away but something needs to change dramatically...

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:06 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:
sdaconsulting wrote:I think it's going to be a very difficult proposition to move dSLR product from here on out. We are already seeing fire sales on used dSLR lens prices which are basically in free fall.

More brutal for Nikon than Canon.  Nikon is already teetering on the edge of financial viability.  I think it's just a matter of time before they will either need a government bailout or become a subsidiary of a much bigger and much more product diverse company.  Guaranteed they won't go away but something needs to change dramatically...
Nikon seems like a strange company to me, on one hand, they produce top quality products that are as good as they get(D850, 500PF, etc.), and on the other, they seem to misstep consistently(Mirrorless bodies a notch below the DSLR offerings, missing vertical grips for mirrorless, the new 70-200, but no sign of teleconverters for it, just to name a few).

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I think it comes down to epically bad management that doesn't look beyond it's own shores for market research, product input, or anything else. It has probably the worst NIH (Not Invented Here) culture in the camera industry - in other words, any idea that wasn't their own, within the walls of Nikon Tokyo, is not considered a valid input. I'm not just talking product here but also management, support, etc. Great products with incredibly, almost unfathomably bad management.

by sdaconsulting on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:20 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
The decision not to open the new Canon and Nikon mirrorless mounts to third party lens makers seems like an epic blunder. They are competing with Sony in mirrorless which does have an open mount with world-class third-party MF and AF glass available as well as a decade of first-party APS-C and FF mirrorless lenses.

I hope we don't see many more camera companies shutting their doors, but it seems inevitable at this point.
Matthew Cromer

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Looks like this is one of the best DSLR's for astro photography (excepting the ones specifically made for it with special sensor filtration):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-12cWe7cyw

26 posts |