« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
All three get better in camera control of external and remote flashes
a7r IV FW addresses one of my major faults of the a7R IV.  Before this update when you saved your camera settings to an SD card so that you can duplicate them to another camera or get your camera back to where you had it prior to a reset or service, it failed to record your My menu settings which means you had to redo them from scratch.  This information is now saved to the SD card.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Link to updates?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You just go to the Sony site, click on Support and Downloads, and then select your camera model:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/downloads

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:58 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I really wish Sony would do their updates the way canon and Nikon do it. Their way is needlessly protracted. Besides having to use their cable(which despite my best intentions is never where I think it is), I have to give the installer admin access, which makes me uncomfortable, the installer is finicky as blazes. I tried it on my 2017 iMac, no luck, wouldn’t do the install despite several attempts. Then I remembered that I couldn’t get it to work previously for upgrades on my A9, so I switched to my older Mac Pro, which had always worked. Not so this time, it no longer supports the older OS(2 gens behind the latest).
So, I try my laptop, which runs the same OS as my iMac, and it worked. An hour long job that should’ve taken 5-10 minutes.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I really wish Sony would do their updates the way canon and Nikon do it. Their way is needlessly protracted. Besides having to use their cable(which despite my best intentions is never where I think it is), I have to give the installer admin access, which makes me uncomfortable, the installer is finicky as blazes. I tried it on my 2017 iMac, no luck, wouldn’t do the install despite several attempts. Then I remembered that I couldn’t get it to work previously for upgrades on my A9,  so I switched to my older Mac Pro, which had always worked. Not so this time, it no longer supports the older OS(2 gens behind the latest).
So, I try my laptop, which runs the same OS as my iMac, and it worked. An hour long job that should’ve taken 5-10 minutes.
You mean the way EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER, BAR NONE, does it ;)

I had no problem updating it on my iMAC running Mojave but in general, it has always been more reliable on a Windows system. I almost always use a Windows computer for Sony updates but just happened to be sitting at an iMac when I learned about the updates and did them on both a7R3 and a7R4 with no issues whatsoever.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:34 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I really wish Sony would do their updates the way canon and Nikon do it. Their way is needlessly protracted. Besides having to use their cable(which despite my best intentions is never where I think it is), I have to give the installer admin access, which makes me uncomfortable, the installer is finicky as blazes. I tried it on my 2017 iMac, no luck, wouldn’t do the install despite several attempts. Then I remembered that I couldn’t get it to work previously for upgrades on my A9,  so I switched to my older Mac Pro, which had always worked. Not so this time, it no longer supports the older OS(2 gens behind the latest).
You mean the way EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER, BAR NONE, does it ;)

I had no problem updating it on my iMAC running Mojave but in general, it has always been more reliable on a Windows system. I almost always use a Windows computer for Sony updates but just happened to be sitting at an iMac when I learned about the updates and did them on both a7R3 and a7R4 with no issues whatsoever.
Actually Olympus needs to be tethered as well.....with the same annoying cable requirements.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Ah, the only system I have never done a FW update on :D

7 posts |