« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:59 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
To start shipping December 20:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6207745612/sigma-japan-confirms-release-date-of-its-l-mount-40mm-f1-4-and-105mm-f1-4-lenses

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have yet to meet anyone that actually shoots with an L-mount camera... It makes me wonder if this is going to survive...

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:11 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I'm not sure why anyone would buy into the L-mount, I don't see an advantage. The entire industry is collapsing to some unknown point, it seems like we are far more likely to see players leave versus the survival of a new player that in my view, brings little to the table.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The big problem with the current crop of L-mount cameras, namely the Panasonic S1 and S1R and the Leica SL and SL2 is that they have the AF performance of a mirrorless camera built in 2014 - contrast detect only that simply can not track anything but the most simple motion. The cameras do have the best ergonomics in the mirrorless world and exude quality build but just don't perform at the levels that we have come to expect. They are also VERY expensive, especially the Leica's. That said, I would love to have an SL2 as it's just a beautiful camera but i would never buy one.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:17 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s an article on the autofocus on the Panny after updates, still not great, but better:

Article

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jess Lee on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:32 pm
Jess Lee
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Here’s an article on the autofocus on the Panny after updates, still not great, but better:

Article

Joe
Interesting, since I was just playing with the auto focus on my S1r. It is not up to my z7 or a7r4 but I didn’t buy the camera for action work.
That said it is working out to be the best landscape camera out there. The hi Rez mode is stunning. It entirely blows the Sony out of the market if that is what you need. Luckily I can use my Nikon f mount Sigma art lens for what I need. To me it is a nice camera and fill the hi-Rez landscape mode very nicely.
Jess
Photos have a story to tell.
Photo Workshops

Western Images

by sdaconsulting on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:46 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
I think the Sony 16 shot high-res mode should be great with the right software. I don't like the idea of combining images in camera and throwing away data as the Panasonic does.
Matthew Cromer

by Jess Lee on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:12 pm
Jess Lee
Forum Contributor
sdaconsulting wrote:I think the Sony 16 shot high-res mode should be great with the right software. I don't like the idea of combining images in camera and throwing away data as the Panasonic does.
You are correct the Sony should be better given larger and more files. In my side by side test in the field and indoor conditions, the images between the A7r4 and the S1R don't really compare. Maybe if Sonny came up with better software they could compete. If there is a better solution I would love to find it but the final product from the S1R are exceptional.
Jess
Photos have a story to tell.
Photo Workshops

Western Images

8 posts |