Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:10 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A new review:

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_fe_200_600mm_f5_6_6_3_g_oss_review

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:00 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I’ve been using it for a couple of months. The review doesn’t mention it, but one thing I find fantastic is the ease of zooming. For birds in flight I can easily use my thumb to zoom out or in as needed. The zoom travel is short and the ring isn’t too stiff so it is easy to change while following a bif. I never could get the hang of doing that with other zoom lenses.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:17 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It is easily the best lens on the market in the 150-600, 200-500, 200-600 genre and the quarter turn full zoom as well as the fact that it's all internal makes it the most user friendly lens of this type.  The price is right too for a change.  The only reason it isn't designated a GM lens is because it doesn't have dual linear focus motors, it has nothing to do with optics.  That means it will only focus about 80% as fast as a similar lens with dual motors. The big problem, they are very hard to find as demand has been about 5x what Sony anticipated.  I am working on a review but it may take a few weeks as I really want to do some serious field testing and the duck season is just starting.

BTW, Wimberley makes a great double dovetail replacement lens foot for this lens for $79.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:42 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
E.J. Peiker wrote:It is easily the best lens on the market in the 150-600, 200-500, 200-600 genre and the quarter turn full zoom as well as the fact that it's all internal makes it the most user friendly lens of this type.  The price is right too for a change.  The only reason it isn't designated a GM lens is because it doesn't have dual linear focus motors, it has nothing to do with optics.  That means it will only focus about 80% as fast as a similar lens with dual motors. The big problem, they are very hard to find as demand has been about 5x what Sony anticipated.  I am working on a review but it may take a few weeks as I really want to do some serious field testing and the duck season is just starting.

BTW, Wimberley makes a great double dovetail replacement lens foot for this lens for $79.

I agree with the Wimberly lens foot. With the A9, the zoom works well with the 1.4x too.

4 posts |