Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by GregCromie on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:15 pm
GregCromie
Forum Contributor
HI all. I am new to nature photography and looking at exploring this genre more. I currently shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3 and was hoping to get some opinions on using this system, and with what lenses for this kind of work. Thanks in advance for your comments. Cheers. Greg

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The X-T3 is probably the best APS-C sensor camera on the market today and the lenses, especially the higher end ones are exceptional. The AF is very good even for moving subjects. I would have no hesitation in using this system for pretty much any kind of nature photography.

by david fletcher on Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:17 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Depending on what type of nature images you seek: (macro/long tele work), the 100-400 XF F4.5-5.6 LM OIS WR lens looks like a good choice for long tele images. If you want, there is a quite special 200 F2 too.LOL...

Minor limitations have been noted as slightly higher noise by reviewers and no in body stabilisation, neither which are deal breakers.

BTW, welcome to NSN. Just go and enjoy what you have. There will always be a better and latest as each month goes by, but nothing is actually better than spending time in the field.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Jeff Pearl on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:03 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
 I'm currently using the X-T30 with 18-55 lens, and it does a decent job on landscape and buildings. I plan to get the X-T3 and a Fuji 10-24 lens. I usually google " Fuji 10-24 lens sample images" or whatever lens I'm interested in, and can usually find a Flikr group for that particular lens, and then scan through the photos others have taken. You can do same with camera and see results others are getting.

by richard bledsoe on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:19 am
richard bledsoe
Forum Contributor
I like the 100-400 for a variety of nature work, and since I came from Canon, I kept the 180 macro and use with the Fringer adapter as well, since Fuji does not offer a macro in this range. I'm quite satisfied with the results, feel free to check them out on my Flickr.

by GregCromie on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:50 pm
GregCromie
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The X-T3 is probably the best APS-C sensor camera on the market today and the lenses, especially the higher end ones are exceptional.  The AF is very good even for moving subjects.  I would have no hesitation in using this system for pretty much any kind of nature photography.

Thanks for the feedback on that.  It is the high-end glass that I am missing as I only have a couple of smaller F2 lenses that are wide. I would love a Fujifilm zoom. What would be your pick of the lot?

by GregCromie on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 pm
GregCromie
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:Depending on what type of nature images you seek: (macro/long tele work), the 100-400 XF F4.5-5.6 LM OIS WR lens looks like a good choice for long tele images.  If you want, there is a quite special 200 F2 too.LOL...

Minor limitations have been noted as slightly higher noise by reviewers and no in body stabilisation, neither which are deal breakers.  

BTW, welcome to NSN.  Just go and enjoy what you have.  There will always be a better and latest as each month goes by, but nothing is actually better than spending time in the field.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes I got to have a play with that 200mm at a trade show here in Australia last year. But, my children need to be fed! lol. 

I have never found the lack of IBIS a big deal either. I know a lot of people want it but you cannot have it all. 

I think that is the trick. Just get out and shoot and explore. 

by GregCromie on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:54 pm
GregCromie
Forum Contributor
Jeff Pearl wrote: I'm currently using the X-T30 with 18-55 lens, and it does a decent job on landscape and buildings. I plan to get the X-T3 and a Fuji 10-24 lens. I usually google " Fuji 10-24 lens sample images" or whatever lens I'm interested in, and can usually find a Flikr group for that particular lens, and then scan through the photos others have taken. You can do same with camera and see results others are getting.
Thanks so much Jeff. I had not thought of using Flikr for that kind of research. I have never used the 10-24 although I did get to play with the 8-16 for a short period. I used it in the city but never got out and about in nature to truly appreciate it. 

Do you find Flickr hard to navigate through and find exactly what you are looking for?

by Jeff Pearl on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:57 am
Jeff Pearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:02142
GregCromie wrote:
Jeff Pearl wrote: I'm currently using the X-T30 with 18-55 lens, and it does a decent job on landscape and buildings. I plan to get the X-T3 and a Fuji 10-24 lens. I usually google " Fuji 10-24 lens sample images" or whatever lens I'm interested in, and can usually find a Flikr group for that particular lens, and then scan through the photos others have taken. You can do same with camera and see results others are getting.
Thanks so much Jeff. I had not thought of using Flikr for that kind of research. I have never used the 10-24 although I did get to play with the 8-16 for a short period. I used it in the city but never got out and about in nature to truly appreciate it. 

Do you find Flickr hard to navigate through and find exactly what you are looking for?
Greg, Most Flikr groups are pretty specific. All photos in a group are from a certain camera or lens, and what camera and lens was used is usually posted with the photos. I've eliminated lenses I was thinking of buying after viewing several photos by a variety of members because the photos just didn't look that good to me.

9 posts |