All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Karl Egressy on Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:03 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I use a Watson battery that replaces Nikon EN-EL 18c. Recently I went to a BIF shooting of Captive Raptors and used the aforementioned battery in a battery grip for Nikon D850. I took 4925 shots and the battery showed 73% charge.
It sound extremely good, however, one fellow shooter mentioned that his D850 was fried by I third party battery but not made by Watson.
Do you think Watson battery is safe to be used on a D850?
Thanks.

by signgrap on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:44 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Karl I haven't used Watson batteries myself but when I was a Canon shooter (2004-2014) I used a number of third party batteries. I never had a problem with any of them but I did notice over time that all the third party batteries never held a charge as long as the OEM battery. In addition none of them gave as accurate % of charge left. Add that you violate the camera manufacturer's warranty should the battery damage the camera and I came to the conclusion that the few dollars saving was not worth the risk. In addition the third party batteries never lasted anywhere near as long as the OEM batteries. When you consider the cost of a new camera I just buy a second new OEM battery, the few dollars more is money well spent IMO. Consider that that most dangerous/powerful thing in a camera is the lithium battery - not a place I want to save money when you see the fires they can ignite.
Dick Ludwig

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I always like to read the one star reviews on products, of which these batteries have a high percentage. A couple mention swelling, leaking and a hole blown in the side of one. Is it worth the few bucks you save??? I am of the school of thinking that OEM batteries are best. Are the Watsons safe? I can’t answer that.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... omerReview

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:00 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
No problem using 3rd party in my Sonys but they tend to be conservative batteries (less draw) than Nikon or Canon which use battery power to up their FPS.

by Karl Egressy on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:15 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the responses.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:12 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Karl-I think EJ warned me some time ago not to use this battery on the D850 or, perhaps also D500. Seemed to be OK for D750. (Mine Watson came "free" with the D750). I've never used it- just made me nervous. Can't find the thread, so I hope I am not mis-quoting. I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but I would not take a chance with it on any Nikon.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Karl Egressy on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:57 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Cindy.
I wish I had read all of these comments before I bought the Battery.
I was trusting it on the basis that B&H won't sell unreliable stuff.
I only saved $50 US but if I buy the Nikon on top, then the total cost of the two batteries will be over $ 350 CAN.
I will have to think about it.
I use it only when I shoot BIF as it is heavy and bulky, wont carry it for static shots.
I cwm very handy when I was shooting almost continuously for three hours at nine frames per second.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:06 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Karl Egressy wrote:Thanks, Cindy.
I wish I had read all of these comments before I bought the Battery.
I was trusting it on the basis that B&H won't sell unreliable stuff.
I only saved $50 US but if I buy the Nikon on top, then the total cost of the two batteries will be over $ 350 CAN.
I will have to think about it.
I use it only when I shoot BIF as it is heavy and bulky, wont carry it for static shots.
I cwm very handy when I was shooting almost continuously for three hours at nine frames per second.
Karl, which Nikon are you thinking of buying "on top"?  Thought you had D850 and D500?  The D750 is great for landscapes and macro (I thik), but slow for birds. It's also nice for low light. But...I'm really spoiled with the fast review (touch screen, etc.) on the newer cameras, not to mention everything else. (Except huge files- could do with something less in that department) . 
Anyway...Can you return the Watson? (Not sure of B&H policy). I wouldn't risk it on an expensive camera myself.
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:02 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Karl-I think EJ warned me some time ago not to use this battery on the D850 or, perhaps also D500. Seemed to be OK for D750. (Mine Watson came "free" with the D750). I've never used it- just made me nervous. Can't find the thread, so I hope I am not mis-quoting.  I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but I would not take a chance with it on any Nikon.
This is the thread you were referring to, Cindy:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=280717

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:20 pm
Cynthia Crawford
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Karl-I think EJ warned me some time ago not to use this battery on the D850 or, perhaps also D500. Seemed to be OK for D750. (Mine Watson came "free" with the D750). I've never used it- just made me nervous. Can't find the thread, so I hope I am not mis-quoting.  I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but I would not take a chance with it on any Nikon.
This is the thread you were referring to, Cindy:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=280717

Joe
Yes- that's the one-thanks, Joe.

10 posts |