by DChan on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:54 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
EOS-1D X Mark III

The Ultimate EOS

by Neilyb on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:25 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Build for professional sports photographers (therefore no flippy screen) and hopefully the 4K video with 10-bit 60P is internal.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
There seems to be a lot of development announcements these days. As usual a bit thin on specifics.

by Primus on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:42 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Great news for Canon shooters. About time they upgraded the sensor too. However, for me it is too late, I am now firmly in the mirrorless camp and sold off all my Canon gear over a year ago.

Will still be a heavy camera, but probably works for those looking for bigger bodies. Wonder how the Nikon D6 would compare. I feel Canon still has a slight edge in terms of supertele lenses (with the exception of the 500 PF from Nikon).

Great to have more competition.

Pradeep

by OntPhoto on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:48 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I am deciding between a 5D MK4 and 1D MK2 once the new replacement cameras for the aforementioned models are released. How much do the prices typically drop on the older models? I’d still prefer a 7D MK3 for cost.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:I am deciding between a 5D MK4 and 1D MK2 once the new replacement cameras for the aforementioned models are released.  How much do the prices typically drop on the older models?  I’d still prefer a 7D MK3 for cost.
Just got this from Canon:

Canon Sale

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Gary Irwin on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:31 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:There seems to be a lot of development announcements these days. As usual a bit thin on specifics.
Yeah, we got zero information on the Nikon D6. Seems like Canikon are keeping their cards close to their chest, so to speak. I hope they won't be disappointed to find out the DSLR ship has is already sailed...neither company will see many sales of these puppies, I think.
Gary Likes Nature.

by Steve Metildi on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:49 pm
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
Gary Irwin wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:There seems to be a lot of development announcements these days. As usual a bit thin on specifics.
Yeah, we got zero information on the Nikon D6. Seems like Canikon are keeping their cards close to their chest, so to speak. I hope they won't be disappointed to find out the DSLR ship has is already sailed...neither company will see many sales of these puppies, I think.

Really, ever see the sidelines of any major sporting event.

Steve

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Steve Metildi wrote:
Gary Irwin wrote:

Steve
More ideas on this:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/10/24/will-the-canon-1dx-iii-help-save-the-dslr-market/

https://photographylife.com/is-the-dslr-market-already-dead

Connectivity and speed of uploads is also highly important to both sports and news photographers.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Primus on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:14 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Steve Metildi wrote:
Gary Irwin wrote:

Steve

I think the reason why this is so is because there have, so far, not been enough good supertele lenses from Sony and that over the years, the photographers have indeed accumulated DSLR gear and gathered enough experience and comfort with it. 

Imagine you are a surgeon, used to operating with a certain kind of equipment, it may be archaic and not the most efficient, but you are very comfortable and confident with it. It takes a lot to shift from this approach and the inertia is huge. But, once it begins to happen it is like a tsunami and those that cannot adapt or change are swept aside. I've seen this happen with the advent of robotic surgery, the old timers will just not change, but every new kid graduating from a surgical residency is doing mainly robotics, especially in certain specialties. 

That is how it will also be with sports and event photography. While the 1DX3 is a great announcement from Canon, and I truly believe it will sell a lot of these, the days of the DSLR are really numbered. The future belongs to mirrorless - whether from Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji is a bit hard to tell, but I would put my bets on Sony at this point.

Pradeep

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:10 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Of interest is the claim of 28 times the resolution of the 1D X mark ll:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news ... -x-mark-ii

Joe

by signgrap on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:41 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Joe it's the auto focus sensor that has 28 times more resolution NOT the image sensor with 28 more resolution.
Dick Ludwig

by OntPhoto on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:40 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:I am deciding between a 5D MK4 and 1D MK2 once the new replacement cameras for the aforementioned models are released.  How much do the prices typically drop on the older models?  I’d still prefer a 7D MK3 for cost.
Just got this from Canon:

Canon Sale

Joe
That is about the going price in Canada once you do the exchange rate. I'm waiting to see what the 1DX Mk2 will sell for once the III comes out.  Listen, I do not need the latest or greatest.  The 1DX MK2 will do me fine for years to come.  Canon 40D for 6+ years.  Canon 7D MK2 for 5 years and still counting.  Enjoying the heck out of them and having fun.  But just want to taste Pro-level AF AND low-noise high-ISO for a change.  Moreso the high-ISO combined with the pro-AF. The 7D MK2 AF is pretty darn good but not perfect.  I want to see that level of AF and better along with the really good high-ISO. 

by Neilyb on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:09 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
A completely solid and proven camera series. Can be thrown, dropped, knocked and scratched. No flippy screen means the screen is less likely to break, I have seen how those guys throw their kit around.
You also have to remember just how much most sporting agencies have invested in lenses and bodies (no these cameras are not designed with wildlife in mind ;) ). They are unlikely to swap and change just because Sony has the best AF, just not possible with all the kit they have invested in one manufacturer. A freelancer with their own kit, maybe, but for now most photgraphers want robust and quick turn around to the agency and serious proven pro support.

On the bright side I am liking the 10-bit 4K internal recording. Would love this in the 5D4 (darn my drone can do it an it cost half as much).

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:17 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I, for one, do not miss dragging around 1D cameras at all. At one point in time, it was the only way to get the best AF and speed, but Sony has shown what can be done in a tiny body.
While I agree they are "reasonably" durable, I've had more failures with 1D cameras than others, so go figure.

by Primus on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:25 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I, for one, do not miss dragging around 1D cameras at all. At one point in time, it was the only way to get the best AF and speed, but Sony has shown what can be done in a tiny body.
While I agree they are "reasonably" durable, I've had more failures with 1D cameras than others, so go figure.

Agree. The only time I've ever had a failure -  "err99" in the field requiring a trip to Melville was with my 1D4 in Tanzania. Never had a single weather related issue with Sony - whether in the snow or in the desert. 

Pradeep

16 posts |