All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by DOglesby on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:30 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Haven't seen any posts on this lens yet. I recently received mine and took it out with the A9. Didn't do any tracking so it wasn't a demanding session. What I did find is that it's quite sharp at 600mm wide open and has a nice short throw so it's easier to move in/out from 200 to 600 and back again without any trouble - unlike the Nikon 200-500 (that is my only real gripe with the Nikon lens). Also, very easy handhold (making the short throw even more useful). I didn't find it heavy at all. Anyone use it for BIF yet?
Cheers,
Doug

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I've only used it for slow flyers(Egrets, Herons,etc.) so far, and with the A7R4, but it worked well in those situations. I haven't had a chance to try it with fast flyers. The short throw is fantastic and it is easy to rotate with your thumb. I haven't tried it with TC's much, but I did try it with the A9 and 1.4x and it worked well. I wish the lens hood was held in place with a push button though, it doesn't seem particularly secure and I think once it wears in, it might come off accidentally.

by DOglesby on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I've only used it for slow flyers(Egrets, Herons,etc.) so far, and with the A7R4, but it worked well in those situations. I haven't had a chance to try it with fast flyers.  The short throw is fantastic and it is easy to rotate with your thumb. I haven't tried it with TC's much, but I did try it with the A9 and 1.4x and it worked well. I wish the lens hood was held in place with a push button though, it doesn't seem particularly secure and I think once it wears in, it might come off accidentally.
Thanks for the info on the BIF you've shot. Interesting about the lens hood. I'll keep an eye on that! Side bar: the Oly 300 f/4 has the best lens hood on the planet (retracts nice, clean and tight and you cannot lose it). I need to try the 200-600 with my TC. Would you say the quality of the 1.4 on the 200-600 is as good as on the 100-400, assuming you've tried that. In my experience the 1.4 on the 100-400 is surprisingly excellent, even wide open. 
Cheers,
Doug

by mikeojohnson on Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:08 am
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I recently was at Blue Cypress Lake in Florida to photograph barred owls. We had a great morning. As I age, weight has become a factor in what I can bring. I am very impressed with this lens. Here is a blog post describing the experience last weekend. Almost all of the images were taken with the 200-600 or the 400 f/2.8. See if you can tell the difference. Be sure to check out the video (from a pontoon boat) at the end: https://www.mojphoto.com/blog/2019/10/b ... ny-200-600
Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by Phil Shaw on Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:35 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Scott Fairbairn wrote: I wish the lens hood was held in place with a push button though, it doesn't seem particularly secure and I think once it wears in, it might come off accidentally.

When you rotate the lenshood into place, you have to give it an extra twist at the end for it too lock into place.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:45 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Phil Shaw wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote: I wish the lens hood was held in place with a push button though, it doesn't seem particularly secure and I think once it wears in, it might come off accidentally.

When you rotate the lenshood into place, you have to give it an extra twist at the end for it too lock into place.

Yes I realize that, but it seems like it will wear and become loose over time. Or at least mine doesn’t give me much confidence, hence my comment about a button release. 

6 posts |