Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by chrissandys27 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:22 am
chrissandys27
Forum Contributor
Just wondering if any Sony A9 shooters have found the uncompressed 12 bit Raw files when shooting in AF-C a real world issue regarding image quality after processing when compared to 14 bit Raw. As a long time Canon shooter with lots of L glass I am considering switching to Sony, although not all at once. The A9 is available at a much lower price point in the U.K. than I expect the A9II to be so I am considering dipping my toes in the water with an A9 and Sony 200-600. Perhaps another option would be to wait until the A7RIV is thoroughly reviewed regarding AF performance as I believe that it will write 14 bit raw when shooting AF-C

If I thought Canon was likely to bring out a mirrorless body that came close to the A9 in AF performance and fps for shooting birds in flight I would be prepared to wait some months but I am not convinced this is likely any time in the next year.

Apologies if this topic  has been covered elsewhere but having done a search of this forum I could not find any specific answers.

Thanks in advance.
Chris Sandys

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
a9 II is likely going to be announced very soon. I would imagine that would be fixed but in most real world situation you don't miss much in 12 bit over 14 bit at anything but base ISO. I would guess most a9 shooters are shooting at ISO 640 in which case it wouldn't make much difference.

by chrissandys27 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:32 am
chrissandys27
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:a9 II is likely going to be announced very soon.  I would imagine that would be fixed but in most real world situation you don't miss much in 12 bit over 14 bit at anything but base ISO.  I would guess most a9 shooters are shooting at ISO 640 in which case it wouldn't make much difference.

Many thanks for the reply EJ. That is exactly the information I was seeking.
Chris Sandys

3 posts |