« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:14 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
neverspook wrote:So what I would like to see is how well it works for something like bears with small deep set eyes and bears on the move when eye tracking is most needed?..........

Roberta
In this link on my original post, at the bottom of the page it said bears are difficult:

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/support/tutorial/ilc/en/ilce-6400/03-1.php

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:
neverspook wrote:So what I would like to see is how well it works for something like bears with small deep set eyes and bears on the move when eye tracking is most needed?..........

Roberta
In this link on my original post, at the bottom of the page it said bears are difficult:

Joe
Yeah, I had a feeling that Black Bears would be more of a challenge than the other species of North American Bears.
But that link neglects one VERY important setting at least in the set-up pictures (it's in the text but most people would skip that going straight to the illustrations) - you have to select animal eye detect on the menu item that lets you distinguish between human and animal.  That article's illustrations neglects that setting altogether - it's crucial in my testing.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Roberta

Joe
Yeah, I had a feeling that Black Bears would be more of a challenge than the other species of North American Bears.
But that link neglects one VERY important setting at least in the set-up pictures (it's in the text but most people would skip that going straight to the illustrations) - you have to select animal eye detect on the menu item that lets you distinguish between human and animal.  That article's illustrations neglects that setting altogether - it's crucial in my testing.
It’s also important to note that “tracking” and “left/right eye” cannot be used with animal eye focusing. That’s in the text, too.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:41 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:

Roberta

Joe
It’s also important to note that “tracking” and “left/right eye” cannot be used with animal eye focusing. That’s in the text, too.

Joe
What is important is that it will select an eye & not the nose or ear.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:22 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I finally updated the firmware in my A9. It took 30 minutes just to find a USB cable that would connect to the camera. I literally tried 10-20 cables before I found one that worked! I'm going to mount this cable in a frame and hang it on the wall so I can find it next time. lol
What an absolutely stupid way to do a firmware update. Sony has a long way to go in the firmware and software area, why we can't just copy the update to a card the way Nikon and Canon do it, I'll never understand. Plus, granting top-level access to my computer system for their software to run disturbs me as well. Rant over!

Last edited by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Scott Fairbairn wrote: Sony has a long way to go in the firmware and software area, 
Yup, consistently my number one complaint about the Sony ecosystem.  To be fair, most camera manufacturers pretty much suck when it comes to SW and FW but Sony is among the worst if not the worst.

26 posts |